This paper deals with the search for new axioms in set theory from the objectivistic point of view. A description of objectivism is followed by a general discussion of this search for new axioms. The second half of the paper concentrates on an examination of the reflection principle and attempts to use it to introduce new axioms sufficient to justify the existence of measurable cardinals.
KeywordsCoherence Verse Cardi
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernays, P.: 1961, ‘Zur Frage der Unendlichkeitsschemata in der axiomatischen Mengenlehre’, Essays on the Foundations of Mathematics, Magnes Press, Hebrew Univ., Jerusalem, pp. 3–45.Google Scholar
- Cantor, G.: 1932, Gesammelte Abhandlungen, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Drake, F. R.: 1974, Set Theory — An Introduction to Large Cardinals. Google Scholar
- Gödel, K.: 1964a, ‘Russell’s Mathematical Logic’, Philosophy of Bertrand Russell 1944, pp. 125-153.Google Scholar
- Reprinted in Philosophy of Mathematics (ed. by P. Benacerraf and H. Putnam), pp. 211-232.Google Scholar
- Kanamori, A.: 1975, Large Large Cardinals, Lecture notes at The University of Cambridge, 77pp.Google Scholar
- Levy, A.: 1960, ‘Axiom Schemata of Strong Infinity in Axiomatic Set Theory’, Pacific J. Math. 10, 223–238.Google Scholar
- Powell, W. C: 1972, Set Theory with Predication, Ph.D. dissertation at S.U.N.Y. Buffalo, 111pp.Google Scholar
- Reinhardt, W.: 1974a, ‘Set Existence Principles of Shoenfield, Ackermann and Powell’, Fund. Math. 84, 12–41.Google Scholar
- Reinhardt, W.: 1974b, ‘Remarks on Reflection Principles, Large Cardinals, and Elementary Embeddings’, Axiomatic Set Theory, Part II, AMS Proceedings, pp. 189-206.Google Scholar
- Wang, Hao: 1974, From Mathematics to Philosophy, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London.Google Scholar