Changes on the Surface of Mars Resulting from Inner Factors and Impactors
Images of the Martian surface transmitted to Earth by the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft were recently interpreted as evidence of the presence of liquid water (Malin & Edgett, 2000). This finding would suppose the occurrence of gullies within the walls of a very small number of impact craters, south polar pits, and two of the larger Martian valleys display geomorphic features that could be explained by processes associated with groundwater seepage and surface runoff (Malin & Edgett, 2000). Careful examination of the images acquired by Mars Global Surveyor Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC2-234-245) allowed by JPL/NASA/Malin Space Science Systems, showed features that were far away from those interpretations, because it is difficult to conceive runoff, gullies or outflows as originated from the effects of liquid water running on the current Martian surface. As a result, several explanations are explored in this paper obtained mainly from terrestrial examples.
KeywordsArgon Fractionation Geophysics Alba Venezuela
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Azócar, A. & Monasterio, M: 1980, in: Estudios Ecológicos en los Páramos Andinos, ed. M. Monasterio, Ediciones de la Universidad de Los Andes, Mérida, p. 207–223.Google Scholar
- Hodges, C. A. & Moore, H. J.: 1993, U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1534.Google Scholar
- Marcano, V. 1994, Studies in Andean lichens. Vol. I, Koeltz Scientific Books, Germany, p. 63.Google Scholar
- Marcano, V. 1998. Ecophysic study of forested microrrefuges from the Gran Sabana, Venezuela and of their lower plant and fungus communities. Rev. Ecol. Latinoamericana 5, 21–48.Google Scholar
- Postawko, S, E. & Mouginis-Mark, P.: 1987, Possible origin of some channels on Alba Patera, Mars, in Reports of Planetary Geology and Geophysics Program, SEE N87-23341 16-91, p. 303–304, NASA, Washington.Google Scholar
- Schubert, C.: 1972, Acta Cientifica Venezolana 23, 108–152.Google Scholar
- Schubert, C: 1980, in: Estudios Ecológicos en los Páramos Andinos, ed. M. Monasterio, Ediciones de la Universidad de Los Andes, Mérida, p. 29–46.Google Scholar
- Schubert, C. & Vivas, L. 1993. El cuaternario de la Cordillera de Mérida, Andes Venezolanos. Universidad de Los Andes y Fundación Polar, Mérida, pp. 345.Google Scholar
- Squyres, S. W. & Kasting, J. F. 1994, Science 265, 744–749.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, R. H.: 1992, Evolution of steep Martian slopes, Ph.D. Thesis Arizona State Univ., Tempe.Google Scholar