Characteristic Varieties of Algebraic Curves
We study an invariant of plane algebraic curves with several components. Such invariant, called here a characterisitic variety, is a collection of subtori in the group of characters of the fundamental group of the complement to the curve. This invariant is a generalization of one variable Alexander polynomial. The paper discusses the basic properties of characterisitic varieties and their calculation in terms of position of the singularities of the curve in the plane.
Key wordsplane algebraic curves singularities fundamental groups of the complements
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)14E20 14H30 14H50
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barthel, G., Hirzebruch, F., and Hofer, T. (1987) Geradenkonfiguarationen und Algebraishe flächen, Vieweg Publishing, Wiesbaden.Google Scholar
- Brieskorn, E. (1973) Sur les groups des tresses, in Sem. Bourbaki, Lect. Notes in Math. 317, Springer, Berlin, pp. 21–44.Google Scholar
- Hironaka, E. (1997) Multi-polynomial invariants of plane algebraic curves, in Singularities and Complex Geometry, Studies in Advanced Mathematics 5, AMS and International Press, 67–74.Google Scholar
- Kollar, J. (1995) Shafarevich maps and automorphic forms, Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Libgober, A. (1994) Groups which cannot be realized as fundamental groups of the complements to hypersurfaces in ℂN, in C. Bajaj (ed.), Algebraic Geometry and Application, Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp. 203–207.Google Scholar
- Libgober, A. (1999) Abelian Covers of projective plane, in Singularity theory (Liverpool, 1996), xxi, London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser. 263, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, pp. 281–289.Google Scholar
- Libgober, A. (2001) Hodge decomposition of Alexander invariants, Preprint.Google Scholar
- Libgober, A., and Yuzvinsky, S. (2000) Cohomology of the Brieskorn-Orlik-Solomon algebra and local systems, in Arrangements—Tokyo 1998, Adv. Stud. Pure Math. 27, Kinokuniya, Tokyo, pp. 169–184.Google Scholar
- Zuo, K. (1989) Kummer Oberlagerungen algebraischer Flächen, Bonner Mathematische Schriften, Bonn.Google Scholar