Numerical Solution of the Four-Dimensional Nonstationary Fokker-Planck Equation
The response of mechanical and structural systems subjected to environmental loads is often determined through the use of random vibration methods. Many of these loads can be effectively modeled as random processes, and more specifically as Gaussian white noise or filtered Gaussian white noise excitations. This choice of excitation model infers that the response of the system will be Markovian and, thus, expressible in terms of its transition probability density function, which satisfies both the forward (Fokker-Planck) and backward Kolmogorov equations.
KeywordsIterative Solver Kolmogorov Equation Temporal Discretization White Noise Excitation High Order Finite Difference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bergman, L.A. (1989) Numerical Solutions of the First Passage Problem in Stochastic Structural Dynamics, in W.K. Liu and T. Belytschko, (eds.), Computational Mechanics of Probabilistic and Reliability Analysis, ElmePress International, Lausanne, pp. 379–408.Google Scholar
- 4.Wojtkiewicz, S.F., Bergman, L.A. and Spencer, B.F. Jr., (1995) Numerical Solution of Some Three-State Random Vibration Problems, in S.C. Sinha et al., (eds.), Vibration of Nonlinear,Random, and Time-Varying Systems, ASME DE-84–1, pp. 939–947.Google Scholar
- 5.Bergman, L.A., Spencer, Jr., B.F., Wojtkiewicz, S.F. and Johnson, E.A. (1996) Robust Numerical Solution of the Fokker-Planck Equation for Second Order Dynamical Systems Under Parametric and External White Noise Excitations, in W. Langford, W. Kliemann and N. Sri Namachchivaya, (eds.), Fields Institute Communications, Nonlinear Dynamics and Stochastic Mechanics, American Mathematical Society, Providence, pp. 23–37.Google Scholar
- 6.Wojtkiewicz, S.F., L.A. Bergman, and Spencer, Jr., B.F. (1998) High Fidelity Numerical Solutions of the Fokker-Planck Equation, in N. Shiraishi, M. Shinozuka and Y.K. Wen (eds.), ICOSSAR ’97, Proceedings, 2 pp. 933–940.Google Scholar
- 7.Wojtkiewicz, S.F., Bergman, L.A. and Spencer, Jr., B.F., (1998) Computational Issues Arising in the Solution of the Fokker-Planck Equation in Higher Dimensions: Use of Iterative Solution Methods, in N. Shiraishi, M. Shinozuka, Y.K. Wen (eds.), ICOSSAR ’97,Proceedings, 2 pp. 851–858.Google Scholar
- 8.Wedig, W.V. and von Wagner, U. (1999) Extended Laguerre Polynomials for Nonlinear Stochastic Polynomials, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Computational Stochastic Mechanics, in press.Google Scholar
- 9.Gear, C.W. (1971) Numerical Initial Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.Google Scholar