Danish EPA Use of Models for Assessment of Pesticides Mobility
The Danish EPA have increasingly used models in the assessment of pesticides mobility. They have set up certain requirements for a model study under Danish conditions. These requirements are printed on a CD-rom, which Danish EPA released last year. The CD includes the input files for the model MACRO, such as climate data and the parameter file for two scenarios. It furthermore includes a thoroughly description of the scenarios (soil types, water balances, climate data etc.). The scenarios represent a typical Danish sandy soil and a loamy clay soil.
A study concludes that models which not include a description of preferential flow are not feasible for prediction of leaching in macroporous soils. Therefore, the Danish EPA have decided to use the Swedish model MACRO. Since the model is not validated, a realistic worst case must be covered with respect to pesticide parameters, application rate, crop, etc. A study has shown that hourly precipitation data can give up to 12 times higher leaching, than using daily precipitation data.
KeywordsClay Porosity Silt Leaching MCPP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allerup, P. and H. Madsen, (1979): Accuracy of point precipitation measurements. Danish Meteorological Institute. Climatological Papers No.5. Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- 2.Aslyng, H.C. and S. Hansen, (1982). Water balance and crop production simulation. Hydrotechnical Laboratory, The Royal Veterinary andAgricultural University, Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- 3.Barlebo, H.C. et. al. (1999): Udvaskning af pesticider: Modellering af betydning af variationen i danske jordarter, nedbør og stofparametre, (in Danish)Google Scholar
- 4.Danish EPA (1998): Input files for the macro model. Released as a CD-romGoogle Scholar
- 5.FOCUS (1995): Leaching models and EU registration. Final report of the workgroup-FOrum for the Co-ordination of pesticide fate models and their Use, fundes by the European Crop ProtectionAssociation and COST Action 66. DOC. 4952/VI/95Google Scholar
- 6.Iqbal, M., (1983). An introduction to solar radiation. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 7.Storm, H., M. Styczen and T. Clausen, (1990). Regional Model for Nitrate Transport and Transformation. NPo Research in the NAEP, Report H15. National Agency of Environmental Protection, Copenhagen (in Danish).Google Scholar
- 8.Thorsen, M. et al. (1998): Validation and Development of Pesticide leaching Models. Danish EPA pesticides Research No. 47.Google Scholar