New Boundary Integral Equation Representation for Finite Energy Force-Free Magnetic Fields in Open Space above the Sun
A boundary integral equation to describe a force-free magnetic field with finite energy content in the open space above the solar surface is found. This is a new representation for a 3-D nonlinear force-free field in terms of the boundary field and its normal gradient at the boundary. Therefore the magnetic field observed on the solar surface can be incorporated into the formulation directly and a standard numerical technique, the boundary element method, can be applied to solve the field. A numerical test case demonstrates the power of the method by recovering the analytical solution to the desired accuracy and its application to practical solar magnetic field problems is straightforward and promising.
KeywordsPermeability Flare Assure Nite ARsin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1961, Hydmdynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability, Oxford University Press, London.Google Scholar
- Harrington, R. F.: 1961, Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Hu, W.: 1987, Cosmical Magnetohydrodynamics, Science Press, Beijing (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Mikić, Z. and McClymont, A. N.: 1994, in K. S. Balasubramaniam and G. Simon (eds.), Solar Active Region Evolution: Comparing Models with Observations, A.S.R Conf. Proa, San Francisco, p. 225.Google Scholar
- Wang, H. N., Yan, Y., and Sakurai T.: 2000, Solar Phys. submitted.Google Scholar
- Yan, Y, Yu, Q., and Shi, H.; 1993, in H. Kane, G. Maier, N. Tosaka and S. N. Atluri (eds.), Advances in Boundary Element Techniques, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, p. 447.Google Scholar