Surface Diffusion Near Phase Transitions
In this contribution, recent progresses in the understanding of surface diffusion processes within adsorbed monolayers will be reviewed. We will focus on the influence of phase transitions within the adsorbed monolayers. In most of the studies to be discussed below, lattice gas models have been used to a large extent. Unfortunately, in many cases even lattice gas models are too complicated for exact analytical treatments of the diffusion problem, especially if ad-ad interactions are taken into consideration, and only in some exceptional cases general equations for the description of surface diffusion can be derived. However, Monte Carlo simulations can easily be utilized to analyze surface diffusion processes. In recent years, the widespread availability of extremely powerful supermassive parallel computers has allowed many interesting studies on this topic. It is likely that the more recent work reviewed here will stimulate further work in this and related fields. The main emphasis of this article is on transport phenomena at or near equilibrium, i.e., on diffusion of particles within (nearly) equilibrated adsorbed monolayers on homogeneous surfaces.
KeywordsAutocorrelation Compressibility Argentina Vicin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.P. Blandin and C. Massobrio, Surf. Sci. 279, L219 (1992).Google Scholar
- 15.Lichang Wang, Qingfeng Ge, and G.D. Billing, Surf. Sci. 304, L413 (1994).Google Scholar
- 17.I.I. Suni and E.G. Seebauer, Surf. Sci. 301, L235 (1994).Google Scholar
- 22.C. Uebing and R. Gomer, J. Chem. Phys. 95, 7626, 7636, 7641, 7648 (1991).Google Scholar
- 24.K. Kehr and K. Binder, in Applications of the Monte Carlo Method in Statistical Physics, Vol. 36 of Topics in Current Physics, 2 ed., edited by K. Binder (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987), p. 181.Google Scholar
- 34.A.A. Tarasenko, P.M. Tomchuk, and A.A. Chumak, Fluctuations in the bulk and on the surface of solids (Naukova dumka, Kijv, 1992), (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 35.A.A. Tarasenko and A.A. Chumak, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad) 24, 2972 (1982); 22, 2939 (1980), [Sov. Phys. Solid State 24, 1683 (1982); 22, 1716 (1980)].Google Scholar
- 36.A.A. Tarasenko and A.A. Chumak, Poverkhnost’ Fiyika, Khimija, Mekhanika 12, 37 (1991); 11, 98 (1989), (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 41.V.P. Zhdanov, Elementary Physicochemical Processes on Solid Surfaces (Plenum, New York, 1991).Google Scholar