Light Propagation Characteristics of Defect Waveguides in a Photonic Crystal Slab
A channel waveguide composed of a series of defects in a uniform photonic crystal (PC) is an attractive device, in which two important properties of PCs, i.e., photonic bandgaps (PBGs) and defect states, are applied . In conventional index-type waveguides, the guided light suffers large radiation loss at steep bends due to the weak optical confinement. It strongly restricts the flexibility of the optical wiring and makes photonic circuits so large as to be of the cm2 order. The PC waveguide has the potential for eliminating this restriction. It allows low-loss steep bends, Y-blanches, and short couplers owing to the strong optical confinement of PC claddings[2–4].
KeywordsMicrowave Hexagonal Refraction Coupler Veri
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Meade, R. D., Devenyi, A., Joannopoulos, J. D., Alerhand, O. L., Smith, D.A., and Kash, K., “Novel applications of photonic band gap materials: low-loss bends and high Q cavities”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 75, 4753–4755 (1994).Google Scholar
- 10.Smith, C. J. M., Benisty, H., Rattier, M., Olivier, S., Krauss, T. F., De La Rue, R.M., Houdre, R., Oesterle, U. and Weisbuch, C., “Quantitative and qualitative analysis of 2D photonic crystal waveguides”, Dig. Int. Workshop on Photonic and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures, F3–3 (2000).Google Scholar
- 12.Suematsu, Y., and Furuya, K., “Scattering loss in thin film waveguides”, Oyobutsuri 42, 938–942 (1973, in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 13.Sakai, A., Hara, G., and Baba, T., “Sharply bent optical waveguide on silicon-on-insulator substrate”, Proc. SPIE Physics and Simulation of Optoelectronic Devices, OE09–562 (2001).Google Scholar
- 14.Shinya, A., Notomi, M. and Yokohama, I., “3D-FDTD calculations for 2D photonic crystal with finite thickness”, Dig. Int. Workshop on Photonic and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures, T4–8 (2000).Google Scholar
- 15.Benisty, H., Rattier, M., Weisbuch, C., Krauss, T. K., Smith, C. J. M., De La Rue, R.M., Cassagne, D., Beraud, A. and Jouanin, C., “Photonic crystals for integrated optics: can we use conventional semiconductor waveguides?”, Dig. Int. Workshop on Photonic and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures, F3–2 (2000).Google Scholar