Experimental Studies on Soft Core Sandwich Plates with a Built-In Adaptive Layer
- 180 Downloads
A common form of an adaptive structure is a thin type structure equipped with piezoelectric laminae. These laminae are made of piezoelectric materials such as Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) — a piezoelectric copolymer film  or Lead Zirconia Titanate (PZT) — a piezoceramic based material available at present in relatively small rectangular patches. The figure of merit of such laminae is their capability of transducing electric fields into mechanical strains, and mechanical strains into electrical charges. These “active” laminae are used either to actuate the hosting structure by inducing strains in the non-piezoelectric, “passive” laminae, or to sense deflections of the hosting structure by measuring the local strain fields. The active laminae, the actuators, can be continuous over the entire domain of the structure, as in the PVDF case, or discontinuous as in the case of piezoceramic (PZT) patches. A survey on piezoelectricity and its use can be found in reference .
KeywordsSandwich Structure Sandwich Plate Sandwich Beam Interior Noise Noise Attenuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cudney, H.H., Alberts, T.E. and Colvin, J.A. (1992). A classical approach to structural control with piezoelectrics, AIAA-92-2462-CP, 33rd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Dallas, TX, USA, pp. 2118–2126.Google Scholar
- 11.Crane, S.P., Cunefare, K.A., Englestad, S.P. and Powell, E.A. (1996). A comparison of optimization formulations for design minimization of aircraft interior noise, AIAA-96-11480-CP, 37th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, pp. 1504–1514.Google Scholar
- 12.Dungan, M.R., Mollo, C., Vlahapoulos, N. and Anderson, W.J. (1996). Acoustic vibration model of a composite shell with sound absorption material, AIAA-96-1348-CP, 37th AIAAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, pp. 267–273.Google Scholar
- 18.Pletner, B, Abramovich, H. and Idan, M. (1996). A new methodology for active control of structure-radiated noise. Proc. of the 7th Int. Conference on Adaptive Structures, Rome, Italy.Google Scholar
- 24.Abramovich, H., (1997). Experimental Studies on Soft Core Sandwich Structures with a Builtin Adaptive Layer, TM 278, Inst, für Leichtbau und Seilbahntechnik, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.Google Scholar