Variable Oort Cloud Flux due to the Galactic Tide
We review the subject of the time dependence of the component of Oort cloud comet flux due to the adiabatic Galactic tide, including the possibility of detecting such a signal in the terrestrial cratering record.
KeywordsDust Torque Univer Bital
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Binney, J. and Tremaine, S. (1986) Chap. 3.2.3 in Galactic Dynamics, Princeton Univer-sity Press (Princeton NJ), pp. 120–126.Google Scholar
- Frisch, P.C. and York, D.G. (1986) Interstellar Clouds Near the Sun, in The Galaxy and the Solar System (R.N. Smoluchowski, J.N. Bahcall, and M.S. Matthews, Eds.), University of Arizona Press, pp. 83–102.Google Scholar
- Marsden B.G., and Williams, G.V. (1996) Catalogue of Cometary Orbits, 11th Ed., Cam-bridge: Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory.Google Scholar
- Matese, J.J., Whitman, P.G., Innanen, K.A. and Valtonen, M.J. (1998) Variability of the Oort Cloud Comet Flux: Can it be Manifest in the Cratering Record?, in Highlights in Astronomy (J. Andersen, Ed.) 11A, pp. 252–256.Google Scholar
- Rampino, M.R. and Stothers, R.B. (1998) Mass Extinctions, Comet Impacts, and the Galaxy, in Highlights in Astronomy (J. Andersen, Ed.) 11A, pp. 246–251.Google Scholar