Quadratic Solitons: Theory
In the present paper the fundamental theory of parametric solitons, trapping and interacting in bulk media, cavities and gratings with quadratic nonlinearity are considered. We discuss the mechanism of parametric self-action due to which quadratic solitons are formed. Nonlinear dispersion of both plane waves and solitons is investigated. Change of quadratic soliton properties in the process of narrowing of its width is traced with the help of numerical and analytical solutions of Maxwell equations. The criteria of soliton stability and nature of modulation instability are analyzed. The dynamics of soliton trapping is demonstrated. Advantages and disadvantages of effective particle model of quadratic solitons are presented. The main features of soliton generation in resonators are discussed as well.
KeywordsOptical Parametric Oscillator Phase Mismatch Quadratic Nonlinearity Nonlinear Dispersion Spatial Soliton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Karamzin, Ju. N. and Sukhorukov, A.P. (1974) Nonlinear interaction of diffracted light beams in a medium with quadratic nonlinearity: mutual focusing of beams and limitation on the efficiency of optical frequency converters, JETP Lett. 20, 339–342; (1976) Mutual focusing of high-power light beams in media with quadratic nonlinearity, Sov. Phys. JETP 41, 414-420.ADSGoogle Scholar
- 2.Karamzin, Ju.N., Sukhorukov, A.P., and Filipchuk, T.S. (1978) On a new class of coupled solitons in a dispersive medium with quadratic nonlinearity, Moscow Univ. Phys. Bull. 33(3), 73–79.Google Scholar
- 5.Advanced Photonics with Second-order Nonlinear Processes, Ed. by A. D. Boardman, L. Pavlov, and S. Tanev (Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.Sukhorukov, A.P. (1988) Nonlinear Wave Interactions in Optics and Radiophysics, Nauka Publishers, Moscow (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 11.Werner, Y.J. and Drummond, P.D. (1994) Strongly coupled nonlinear parametric solitary waves, Opt. Comm. 19, 613–615.Google Scholar
- 12.Buryak, A.V. and Kivshar, Yu. S. (1994) Spatial optical solitons governed by quadratic nonlinearity, Opt. Lett. 19, 1612–1614; Alexander V. Buryak, Yuri S. Kivshar (1995) Spatial optical solitons governed by quadratic nonlinearity: erratum, Opt. Lett. 20, 1080 (E); Buryak, A.V. and Kivshar, Yu.S (1995) Solitons Due to 2nd Harmonic Generation, Phys. Rev. A 197, 407-412.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Lu, X. and Sukhorukov, A.P. (1996) Three-dimensional spatial solitons in a quadratically nonlinear medium, Bull. RAS, phys. 60(12), 64–69.Google Scholar
- 23.Agranovich, V.M., Darmanyan, S.A., Kamchatov, A.M., Leskova, T.A., and Boardman, A.D. (1997) Variational approach to solitons in systems with cascaded χ(2) nonlinearity, Phys. Rev. E 55 (in press).Google Scholar
- 32.Lu, X., Sukhorukov, A.P. and Chuprakov D.A., (1998) Helical rotation of spatial solitons in a quadratic nonlinear medium, Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Physics 62, 1864–1869.Google Scholar
- 33.Rosanov, N.N. (1997) Optical bistability and gisteresis in the distributed nonlinear systems. Moscow: Science. Google Scholar
- 42.Rosanov, N.N. (1997) Optical bistability and gisteresis in the distributed nonlinear systems. Moscow: Science.Google Scholar
- 49.Polyakov, S. V. and Sukhorukov, A. P. (1998) Excitation and properties of bicolored gap solitons // Izv. RAN (Bull. RAS, phys.) 62, 2327–2337Google Scholar