Experiments with two Colliding Bose-Einstein Condensates in an Elongated Magneto-Static Trap
We review some experiments performed with two 87Rb Bose-Einstein condensates in an elongated magneto-static trap. The two condensates, being in different internal Zeemari state (F = 2, m f = 2〉 and F = 2, m f = 1〉), experience external parabolic potentials that differ by both curvature and equilibrium position. The dynamics of the system is characterized by periodic collisions between the two condensates, which strongly affect their center-of-mass and shape oscillations. In particular, we show that both an amplitude damping and a frequency shift occur in the large center-of-mass oscillations of the F = 2, m f = 1〉 condensate. The experimental data are quantitatively analyzed and found in agreement with the Gross-Pitaevskii theory for two interacting condensates at zero temperature.
KeywordsCoherence Rubidium 87Rb
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, M.H., Ensher, J.R., Matthews, M.R., Wieman, C.E., and Cornell, E.A. (1995) Science 269, 1989; Davis, K.B., Mewes, M.-O., Andrews, M.R., van Druten, N.J., Durfee, D.S., Kurn, D.M., and Ketterle, W. (1995) Phys. Rev. Lett. 75, 3969; Bradley, C.C., Sackett, C.A., and Hulet, R.G. (1997) Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 985.Google Scholar
- 5.Cornell, E.A., Hall, D.S., Matthews, M.R., and Wieman, C.E. cond-mat/9808105.Google Scholar
- 14.Minardi, F., Fort, C., Maddaloni, P., and Inguscio M. (2000) Bose-Einstein Condensates and Atom Lasers, edited by S. Martellucci, A.N. Chester, A. Aspect, and M. Inguscio, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, pag. 129.Google Scholar
- 15.Williams, C. private communication.Google Scholar
- 19.Burke Jr., J.P., Band, Y.B., and Julienne, P.S. private communication.Google Scholar
- 23.Motivated by our work, preliminary simulations, carried out by the NIST group in Gaithersbourg, show that including the elastic scattering greatly improves the comparison with the experimental damping, while the energy transfer in the axial direction is almost negligible: Burke, J., Band, Y., and Julienne, P. private comunication.Google Scholar