A Method for Detecting Large-Scale Environmental Change with Lichens
To detect and measure the response of local lichen communities to large-scale environmental changes in e.g. climate change or air pollution. For further details see also chapter 13, this volume.
KeywordsLichen Species Epiphytic Lichen Lichen Community Fruticose Lichen Epilithic Lichen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Insarov, G.E. (2001) Monitoring of epiphytic lichens exposed to background air pollution: Conservation implications, Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (in press).Google Scholar
- 2.Insarov, G.E., and Pchiolkin, A.V. (1983) Comparison of different methods of lichen measurement on a tree trunk, Problems of Ecological Monitoring and Ecosystem Modelling 6, 90–100, Gidrometeoizdat Publisher, Leningrad (in Russian, summary in English).Google Scholar
- 3.Insarov, G.E., Filippova, L.M., and Semenov, S.M. (1986) The methods of assessment of epiphytic lichenoflora state in relation to background natural environment pollution, in Y.A. Izrael (ed.), Research on Environmental Pollution and its Effects on the Biosphere, Proc. 3rd Meeting of the International Working Group on UNESCO MAB Project No 14, 29 March-30 April 1985, Yalta, USSR, Gidrometeoizdat Publishers, Leningrad, pp. 123–131.Google Scholar
- 4.Insarov, G.E. and Pchiolkin, A.V. (1988) Measurement of fruticose epiphytic lichens, Biological Science 1, 106–109 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 5.Insarov, G. and Insarova, I. (1996) Assessment of lichen sensitivity to climate change, Israel Journal of Plant Sciences 44, 309–334.Google Scholar
- 7.Insarova, I.D., Insarov, G.E., Brakenhielm, S., Hultengren, S., Martinson, P.-O., and Semenov, S.M. (1992) Lichen sensitivity and air pollution, Swedish Environment Protection Agency, Report 4007, Uppsala, pp. 1–72.Google Scholar
- 8.Trass, H. (1973) Lichen sensitivity to air pollution and index of poleotolerance (I.P.), Folia Cryptogamica. Estonica 3, 19–22.Google Scholar
- 9.Trunk epiphytes (1998), in Manual for Integrated Monitoring, UN ECE Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution, International Cooperative Programme on Integrated Monitoring of Air Pollution Effects on Ecosystems, ICP IM Programme Centre, Finnish Environment Institute, Helsinki, pp. 7.20–1–7.20–5, http://www.vyh.fi/eng/intcoop/projects/icpim/manual/contents. htmGoogle Scholar
- 10.Zar, J.H. (1996) Biostatistical analysis, 3rd edition, Prentice-Hall Inc., New Jersey, 662 pp. + app.Google Scholar
- 11.Zeltyn, S.A. and Insarov, G.E. (1993) A database of epiphytic lichen background monitoring, in Problems of Ecological Monitoring and Ecosystem Modelling 15, 247–263 (in Russian, summary in English).Google Scholar