Problems of Groundwater Exploration in Gyandja City, Azerbaijan
The focus of this research is fresh groundwater associated with drift cones that commonly underlie urban agglomerates. The aim of this investigation was to quantify the anthropogenic impacts of urbanisation on the groundwater and define optimal conditions for its exploitation. The study was carried out on the Gyandjachai River drift cone which is completely occupied by Gyandja city (the second largest city in Azerbaijan with regards to its population and commercial potential). The aquifer structure and water quality were characterised. The hydraulic link between aquifer horizons was determined and the migration of contaminants to individual aquifer horizons and wells was evaluated. Analysis of the results provided a basis for optimal aquifer development.
KeywordsUnconfined Aquifer Urban Agglomerate Fresh Groundwater Mountain Zone Shallow Unconfined Aquifer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Israfilov, R.G. and Yu. H. Formation and Resources of Unconfined Waters of Continental Series of Shamkhorchai-Kyurakchai, Interfluve and Prospects for their use Scientific-Research Report, Institute of Water Problems of Azerbaijan.Google Scholar
- 2.Listengarten, V.A. and Khalilov, Sh.Z. (1975) Results of preliminary exploration of unconfined waters of the Gyandjachai drift cone as a source of water-supply in Kirovobad city, Technical Report, Committee on Geology and Mineral Resources in Azerbaijan.Google Scholar
- 3.Aslanov, A.D., Israfilov, R.G., and Yu, G. (1974) Chemistry of unconfined waters of the Gyandjachai River drift cone deposits, Scientific Notes Azerbaijan State University 2,15-26.Google Scholar
- 4.Bochever, F.M., Gurkina, N.F., and Lapshin, N.N. (1967) Assessment of Exploitation Reserves and Calculations of Unconfined Water Intakes in the Drift Cone of the Foothill Area, Publishing House VSEGINGEO, Moscow.Google Scholar
- 5.Sklyansky, V.G. Analysis of discharge decrease reasons and the reason of observatory wells out of order drilled for agricultural water-supply in conditions of Azerbaijan USSR, Technical report, Institute of Water Problems of Azerbaijan.Google Scholar
- 6.Israfilov, R.G. and Yu, H. (1986) Studies of conditions of unconfined waters regime formation and its prediction under influence of natural and technogenic factors, Technical report, Institute of Water Problems of Azerbaijan.Google Scholar
- 7.Israfilov, R.G. (1999) A conceptual model of the formation and schématisation of the boundary conditions of the unconfined waters of Ganjachai river drift cone, Proceedings of Paleontology Society of Azerbaijan -Baku.Google Scholar
- 8.Hydrogeologist’s guideline (1962) State Scientific-technical publication of literature for geology and earth depths protection, Moscow, pp. 217.Google Scholar