Auxin-responsive gene expression: genes, promoters and regulatory factors
A molecular approach to investigate auxin signaling in plants has led to the identification of several classes of early/primary auxin response genes. Within the promoters of these genes, cis elements that confer auxin responsiveness (referred to as auxin-response elements or AuxREs) have been defined, and a family of trans-acting transcription factors (auxin-response factors or ARFs) that bind with specificity to AuxREs has been characterized. A family of auxin regulated proteins referred to as Aux/IAA proteins also play a key role in regulating these auxin-response genes. Auxin may regulate transcription on early response genes by influencing the types of interactions between ARFs and Aux/IAAs.
Key wordsauxin response elements (AuxREs) auxin response factors (ARFs) auxin response genes
expressed sequence tag
open reading frame
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Delong, A., Mockaitis, K. and Christensen, S. 2002. Protein phosphorylation in the delivery of and response to auxin signals-Plant Mol. Biol. 49: 285–303.Google Scholar
- Nakazawa, M., Yabe, N., Ichikawa, T., Yamamoto, Y.Y., Yoshizumi, T. Hasunuma, K. and Matsui, M. 2001. DFL1, an auxin-responsive GH3 gene homologue, negatively regulates shoot cell elongation and lateral root formation, and positively regulates the light response of hypocotyl length. Plant J. 25: 213–221.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oono, Y., Chen, Q.G., Overvoorde, P.J., Kohler, C. and Theologis, A. 1998. age mutants of Arabidopsis exhibit altered auxin-regulated gene expression. Plant J. 10: 1649–1662.Google Scholar
- Philippar, K., Fuchs, I., Luthen, H., Hoth, S., Bauer, C.S., Haga, K., Thiel, G., Ljung, K., Sandberg, G., Bottger, M., Becker, D. and Hedrich, R. 1999. Auxin-induced K(+) channel expression represents an essential step in coleoptile growth and gravitropism. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 12186–12191.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Singh, K., Dennis, E.S., Ellis, J.G., Llewellyn, D.J., Tokuhisa, J.G., Wahleithner, J.A. and Peacock, W.J. 1990. OCSBF-1, a maize ocs enhancer binding factor: isolation and expression during development. Plant Cell 1: 891–903.Google Scholar
- Yamamoto, K.T., Mori, H. and Imaseki, H. 1992 cDNA cloning of indole-3-acetic acid-regulated genes:Aux22 and SAUR from mung bean (Vigna radiata) hypocotyl tissue. Plant Cell Physiol. 33: 93–97.Google Scholar