Morphological Evaluation of Embryos in Domestic Species
The need to judge the quality of domestic animal embryos with regard to the establishment of pregnancies following embryo transfer (ET) is obvious. The use of embryo production techniques in a commercial set-up for e.g. bovine reproduction can only be successful with acceptable pregnancy rates. Therefore, the selection of ‘good’ embryos has since long been of great interest.
KeywordsCompaction Straw Trop Flushing Cocu
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gardiner CS, Menino AR Jr. 1991. Development of Na/K ATPase activity and blastocoel formation. Proceedings of the symposium on Preimplantation Embryo Development 1991:200–211.Google Scholar
- Hasler JF. 1998. The current status of oocyte recovery, in vitro embryo production and embryo transfer in domestic animals with emphasis on the bovine. J Anim Sci 76(suppl. 3):52–74.Google Scholar
- Holm P, Callesen H. 1998. In vivo versus in vitro produced bovine ova: similarities and differences relevant for practical application. 14th reunion A.E.T.E. Venice, 11–12 September 1998.Google Scholar
- Manual of the International Embryo Transfer Society, 3rd edition, 1998.Google Scholar
- Van Soom A, de Kruif A. 1992. A comparison between in vivo and in vitro produced bovine embryos: Scientific and practical implications. Proc 12th Int Con Anim Reprod AI 3:1365–1367.Google Scholar
- Van Soom A. 1996. Bovine embryo quality: timing of development, morphological differentiation and cell allocation. PhD thesis, Ghent University.Google Scholar
- Van Soom A, Ysebaert M-T, Vanhoucke-Demedts A., Van De Velde A, Merton S, Delval A, Van Langendonckt A, Donnay I, Vanroose G, Bols PEJ, De Kruif A. 1996b. Sucrose induced shrinkage of in vitro produced bovine morulae: effect on viability, morphology and ease of evaluation. Theriogenology 46:1131–1147.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van Soom A, Mahmoudzadeh AR, Christophe A, Ysebaert MT, de Kruif A. 2001. Silicone oil used in microdrop culture can affect bovine embryonic development and freezability. Reprod Dom Anim 36:169–176.Google Scholar
- Watson AJ. 1991. Activation of the embryonic genome: comparison between mouse and bovine development. Proceedings of the symposium on Preimplantation Embryo Development 1991:115–130.Google Scholar