Rich and Poor as Dividing and Integrating Forces of Society-Introduction
This book is concerned with the question of inequality — which points to a major structural problem in intra-national and inter-national respect. The main topics are the scope of disparities between rich and poor, the people’s perception of wealth and poverty, and the concomitants of inequality between rich and poor which shape the relationship and influence its socio-economic consequences. In the tradition of social reporting the book brings together authors from 14 countries documenting a broad range of the international inequality debate. The results are related to the trends of socio-economic development, to statistical problems of measuring inequality, and to socio-political problems of integrating society in the face of dividing forces.
KeywordsMigration Europe Income Stratification Editing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkinson, A.B. (1975): The Economics of Inequality. Oxford: Clarendon Press. Bundesregierung (ed.) (2001): Lebenslagen in Deutschland. Der erste Armuts-und Reichtumsbericht der Bundesregierung. Bonn: Bundesministerium fir Arbeit und Sozialordnung.Google Scholar
- Bundesregierung (ed.) (2001): Lebenslagen in Deutschland. Der erste Armuts-und Reichtumsbericht der Bundesregierung. Bonn: Bundesministerium fir Arbeit und Sozialordnung.Google Scholar
- Giddens, A. (2000): The Third Way and its Critics. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Glatzer, W. & R. Hauser (2002): Income Distribution in European and North American Countries. In Lemel, Y. & H.-H. Noll (eds.): Changing Structures of Inequality. A Comparative Perspective. Montreal et al.: McGill-Queens, 177–207.Google Scholar
- Jencks, C. (2002): Does Inequality Matter? Daedalus Winter 2002, 49–65.Google Scholar
- Landes, D.S. (1999): The Wealth and Poverty of Nations. Why Some Are so Rich and Some Are so Poor. New York: Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- Maddison, A. (2001): The World Economy — A Millennial Perspective. Paris: Development Centre of the OECD.Google Scholar
- Sen, A.K. (1992): Inequality Re-examined. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- United Nations Development Programme (2001): Human Development Report 2001. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- World Bank (2000): World Development Report 2000/2001 — Attacking Poverty. The World Bank Group.Google Scholar