Earth Sciences Contribution to the Sustainable Development of Ground Transportation Systems: Relevant Case Studies in Central Europe
Our society — our way of life — depends on a complex network of infrastructure systems: e.g. the lifelines that provide transportation and communication services, a supply of energy and fresh water, and the disposal of wastewater and waste products. Among the oldest of these lifelines are our transportation systems — highways, railroads, mass transit, ports, waterways, and airports. The recent political changes and running processes of globalisation in Europe motivate the priority given to sustainable development, e.g. sustainable transport and its interaction with human activities. In the European Union, total spending in the transport sector now runs, according to current estimates, at some 11 000 billion, or 10% of gross domestic product . The recent results, obtained from the European transport research programme, concern enforcement of traffic rules, driver behaviour, passive safety , but not preparedness to meet a natural disaster (e.g. earthquakes, landslides, floods). A key policy target is to implement a new road safety action programme improving road user and road infrastructure safety. Attention has been paid to safety during road design, construction and maintenance and urban safety management schemes as well, but not to the natural hazards.
KeywordsGround Motion Seismic Hazard Seismic Source Epicentral Distance Seismic Hazard Assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Euroabstracts (2002) Transport policy: time to decide, http://www.cordis.lu.
- 2.Road Safety. Results from the transport research programme, EC, EXTRA Consortium for DG Energy and Transport. http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/extra/road_safety.pdf.
- 3.European Transport Networks. Results from the transport research programme, EC EXTRA consortium for DG Energy and Transport, http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/extra/policy_brochures.html.
- 5.Demographic Yearbook (1995), United Nations publication, Sales No. E/F.97.XIII.1, table 8.Google Scholar
- 6.Grant Heiken (EES-1) and Greg Valentine (EES-5), Cities-National and Global Securities Issues, http://www.ees.lanl.gov/EES5/Urban_Security/pdfs/Cities_Securitylssues.pdf.
- 7.Panza, G.F. (2002) Realistic modelling of seismic input for megacities and large urban areas, UNESCO-IUGS-IGCP Project 414, in Progress of the IGCP projects in 2002, Episodes 25(3), 160–184.Google Scholar
- 8.Flesch, R., Palumbo, P., Panza, G.F., Romanelli, F., Vaccari, F., Legeron, F., Schmitt, P., Delgado, R., Faria, R., Barbat, A., Pinto, A., Tsionis, G. (2001) Advanced methods for assessing the seismic vulnerability of existing motorway bridges, Final report, ENV4-CT97-0574/EC, Research DG.Google Scholar
- 10.National Earthquake Information Centre, NEIC, World Data Center for Seismology, Denver, http://neic.usgs.gov
- 11.Cooper, J. D., Friedband, I., Buckle, I., Nimis, R., Bobb, N. McM. The Nortridge Earthquake: Progress Mode, Lessons Learned in Seismic Resistant Bridge Design, http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/summer94/p94su26.htm
- 12.The Taiwan earthquake, September 21, 1999, http://www.mceer.buffalo.edu/research/taiwaneq9_99.
- 14.Brankov, G., ed. (1983) Vrancea Earthquake in 1977. Its after-effects in the people’s republic of Bulgaria, BAS, Sofia (in Bulgarian).Google Scholar
- 15.Caputo, M. (1987) Sismologia e segnali precursori dei terremoti, Calderini, Bologna.Google Scholar
- 16.Balan, St., Cristescu, V., and Cornea I., eds. (1982) Cutremurul de parmnt din Romania de la 4 martie 1977, Editura Academiei, Bucuresti, Romania.Google Scholar
- 17.Panza, G.F., Peresan, A., Vaccari, F., Romashkova, L., Kossobokov, V., Gorshkov, A., and Kuznetsov, I. (2002) Earthquake preparedness: the contribution of earthquake prediction and deterministic hazard research, in Earthquakes and Mediterranean storms (two examples of complex systems), Proceedings of the IEC Jornades Cientifiques (24-25 January 2002). Institut d’Estudis Catalans. Barcelona, Spain. In press.Google Scholar
- 18.Panza, G.F., Radulian, M., and Trifu, C.I., eds. (2000) Seismic hazard of the Circum — Panonian Region, Pageoph Topical volumes, Birkhauser.Google Scholar
- 21.Raykova, R. and Nikolova, Sv. (2001) Shear wave velocity models of the Earth’s crust and uppermost mantle from the Rayleigh waves in the Balkan Peninsula and adjacent areas, Bulg. Geoph. J. 26, 1–4.Google Scholar
- 24.Rizhikova. S. and Petkov, I. (1975) Group velocity dispersion and the Black Sea crust structure, Verrof. Zentr. Inst. Phys. d. Erde 31, 383–390.Google Scholar
- 28.Yanovskaya, T.B. and Nikolova, Sv. (1984) Distribution of the group velocities of the surface waves of Rayleigh and Love in Southeastern Europe and Asia Minor (in Russian), Bulg. Geoph. J. 10, 83–93.Google Scholar
- 31.Panza, G.F., Cioflan, C.O., Kouteva, M., Paskaleva, I., and Romanelli, F. (2002) An Innovtive Assessment of the Seismic Hazard from the Vrancea Intermediate-Depth Earthquakes: Case studies in Romania and Bulgaria, Proc. of the 12 ECEE, London, 2002, CD, Ref. 230.Google Scholar
- 32.Kouteva, M., Panza, G.F., Paskaleva, I., and Romanelli, F. (2002) Modelling of the Ground Motion at Russe site (NE Bulgaria) due to the Vrancea Earthquakes, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, in press.Google Scholar
- 33.Field, W. H. (2000) Accounting for Site Effects in Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analyses of Southern California, Bull. Sels. Soc. Amer. 90, 67–86.Google Scholar
- 34.Panza, G.F., Peresan, A., Romanelli, F., Suhadolc, P., Kouteva, M., Paskaleva, I., El Sayed, A., Nunziata, C, Gorshkov, A., Kossobokov, V., Kronrod, T., Kuznetzov, I., Molchan, G., Soloviev, A., Benouar, D., Herak, M., Zivcic, M., Kiratzi, A., Hatzidimitriou, P., Fiorotto, V., Marmureanu, G., Radulian, M., Tadili, B.A., Alptekin, O., and Mourrabit, T. (2002) A strategy to increase earthquake preparedness: contributions from intermediate-term medium-range predictions and seismic microzoning, Theme B — “Managing Unacceptable Risk through Improved Mitigation and Preparedness Models”. Toolbox for Global Disaster Reduction, Alpha edition. CD-Rom. (http://www.gadr.giees.uncc.edu/).