This chapter reports on a long-term educational initiative organised by the Brera Art Gallery and the Superintendency of Historical and Artistic Heritage of Milan. The project addressed primary school teachers and their pupils aiming to offer them opportunities for building long-term relationships with the gallery and its collections as well as connections between museum learning and classroom teaching. During the implementation of the project, an experimental evaluation study was carried out in order to monitor and evaluate project parameters such as the set objectives and their realisation, the relationship between teachers and the gallery, pupils’ learning, and the organisation of the project. The chapter discusses the evaluation process and its results and presents recommendations for the improvement of practice.
KeywordsCultural Heritage Term Relationship State Museum Ministerial Decree External Evaluator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alla Scoperta di Brera (in Italian). Milan: Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali — Aisthesis & Magazine, 1998.Google Scholar
- Buffet, F. “Between School and Museum: the Time for Cultural Education Partnership” (in French). Publics et Musées 7 (January–June 1995). Lyon: 47–64.Google Scholar
- Cisotto, Nalon, M. (ed). The Museum as Laboratory for Schools. For Art Education (in Italian). Padova: II Poligrafo, 2000.Google Scholar
- Dufresne-Tassé, C. (ed). Museum Evaluation and Education: New Trends (in French). Paris: ICOM-CECA, 1998.Google Scholar
- Hooper Greenhill, E. “Understanding and Improving Visitor Experiences in Art Museums.” In Bodo, S. (ed). The Relational Museum: European Reflections and Experiences (in Italian). Turin: Giovanni Agnelli Foundation, 2000.Google Scholar
- Jacobi, D. and O. Coppey. “Museums and Education: Beyond Consensus, in Search of Partnership” (in French). Publics et Musées 7 (January–June 1995): 10–22.Google Scholar
- Maresca Compagna, A. (ed). Young People and Museums (in Italian). Rome: Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, 1999.Google Scholar
- Margiotta, U. From Planning to Evaluating Training Interventions (in Italian). Venice: Cà Foscari University, 1989.Google Scholar
- Prete, C. Open to the Public. Communication and Educational Services in Museums (in Italian). Florence: Edifir, 1998.Google Scholar
- Quartapelle, F. (ed). Planning Europe Together. Evaluation Kit for European Education Projects (in Italian). Milan: Franco Angeli, 1999: 31.Google Scholar
- Verso un sistema italiano dei servizi educativi per il museo e il territorio. Materiali di lavoro della Commissione Ministeriale (in Italian). Rome: Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali, 1999.Google Scholar