Experiences with Medial Decompression of the Orbit
Decompression of the orbit by a medial approach was first suggested by Sewall (1936) but only isolated cases in which the technique had been used for the relief of endocrine exophthalmos were reported (Kistmer, 1939; Schall & Reagan, 1945; Spencer Harrison, 1956; Boyden, 1956) until Smith (1972, 1975) reported the results in 15 cases. The present paper relates further experience with the operation. For the first time some degree of statistical analysis of the results is possible.
KeywordsPrednisolone Dition Keratitis Cellulitis Carbimazole
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Friedmann, A. & B.R. Jones, Trans. Ophthal. Soc. U.K. 87: 431 (1967).Google Scholar
- Kronlein, R.U. Beitr. Klin. Chir. 4: 149 (1889).Google Scholar
- Schall, L.A. & D.J. Reagan. Ann. Otolaryng. 54: 37 (1954).Google Scholar
- Smith, Vernon H. Trans. Ophthal. Soc. U.K. 92: 485 (1972).Google Scholar
- Smith, Vernon H. Mod. Probl. Ophthal. 14: 446 (1975).Google Scholar
- Walsh, T.E. & J.H. Ogura. Laryngoscope 65: 544 (1957).Google Scholar