A System of Chronological Tense Logic
- 155 Downloads
The present study is an exercise in what may be called metric or chronological tense logic, according to the terminology of, e.g., Prior (1967) and Rescher and Urquhart (1971). Our purpose, however, is more in the direction of Wunderlich (1970), viz., to give a logically and linguistically acceptable analysis of such current locutions in ordinary speech as date indications and Uhrzeitangaben (Sections 5 and 9 below), such as specify week days, months and days of the month (Sections 6, 7, 8 and 9), constructions relating to those just mentioned which involve tense and certain temporal conjunctions and prepositions (Section 10) as well as, finally, of some speech point related locutions involving time adverbs like ‘today’, ‘tomorrow’, ‘yesterday’, ‘next month’, ‘last Monday’, etc. and temporal prepositions such as, e.g., ‘ago’ and ‘in’ (Section 11).
KeywordsTruth Condition Formal Semantic Tense Logic Compound Operator Temporal Conjunction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Åqvist, L. (1973), ‘Music from a Set-Theoretical Point of View’, INTERFACE-Journal of New Music Research 2, pp. 1–22.Google Scholar
- Åqvist, L. (1976), ‘Formal Semantics for Verb Tenses as Analyzed by Reichenbach’, in Teun A. van Dijk (ed.), Pragmatics of Language and Literature, pp. 229–236, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Åqvist, L. and Guenthner, F. (1976), ‘Fundamentals of a Theory of Verb Aspect and Events within the Setting of an Improved Tense Logic’, forthcoming in F. Guenthner and C. Rohrer (eds.), Studies in Formal Semantics, North-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Åqvist, L., Guenthner, F., and Rohrer, C. (1976), ‘Definability in ITL of Some Subordinate Temporal Conjunctions in English’, forthcoming in F. Guenthner and C. Rohrer (eds.), Studies in Formal Semantics, North-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Åqvist, L., Guenthner, F. and Rohrer, C. (1977), ‘Soon and Recently’, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Birkhoff, G. and MacLane, S. (1948), A Survey of Modern Algebra, Macmillan, New York.Google Scholar
- Prior, A. (1967), Past, Present and Future, Clarendon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Reichenbach, H. (1947), Elements of Symbolic Logic. Collier-Macmillan, London.Google Scholar
- Rescher, N. and Urquhart, A. (1971), Temporal Logic (= Library of Exact Philosophy No. 3), Springer Verlag, Wien and New York.Google Scholar
- Wedberg, A. (1963), ‘Additive Measures’, Philosophical Essays Dedicated to Gunnar Aspelin, pp. 272–294, Gleerup, Lund.Google Scholar
- Wunderlich, D. (1970), Tempus und Zeitreferenz im Deutschen, (= Linguistische Reihe no. 5), Hueber, München.Google Scholar