Recent Findings on Cell — Mediated Immune Reactions in Acute Measles and SSPE
It is now more than 10 years that BURNET published his hypothesis on the pathogenesis of SSPE (1). BURNET assumed that the underlying defect was a specific unresponsiveness at the level of T cells. Despite a large body of experimental data (reviewed in (2)) this hypothesis cannot be conclusively answered at present. It is also evident that the mode of action of specific T cells during acute measles itself is incompletely understood. This may be at least partly due to the difficulties in designing appropriate in vitro experiments which explore conclusively specific T cell immunity in man.
KeywordsToxicity DMSO Influenza Interferon Peri
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burnet, FM: Measles as an index of immunological function. Lancet ii: 610–613, 1968.Google Scholar
- 2.Agnarsdottir, G: Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis. Recent Adv Clin Virol 1: 21–49, 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.Simpson, E, PC Beverley: T cell subpopulations. In: Progress in Immunology, III, Amsterdam, North-Holland, 1977, p 206–214.Google Scholar
- 12.Morales, A, GD Bonnard, M Dean, JH Herbermann: In vitro augmentation of natural killer (NK) and antibody-dependent killer (K) cell activities by co-cultivation with mumps virus. (Abstract) Fed Proc 36: 1325, 1977.Google Scholar
- 13.Trinchieri, G, D Santoli: Anti-viral activity induced by lymphocytes with tumor-derived or virus-transformed cells. Enhancement of human natural killer cell activity by interferon and antagonistic inhibition of susceptibility of target cells to lysis. J exp Med 147: 1314–1333.Google Scholar
- 16.Doherty, PC, RV Blanden, RM Zinkernagel: Specificity of virus-immune effector T cells for H-2K or H-2D compatible interactions. Implication for H2-antigen diversity. Transpl Rev 29: 89–124, 1975.Google Scholar
- 20.Ertl, M, M Koszinowski: Cell-mediated cytotoxicity against Sendai-virus-infected cells. Z Immun Forsch 152: 128–140, 1975.Google Scholar
- 21.Eijsvoogel, VP, TA Schellekens, MJGJ Du Bois, WP Zeijlemaker: Human cytotoxic lymphocytes after alloimmunization in vitro. Transplant Rev 29: 125–145, 1975.Google Scholar
- 22.Dunlop, MBC, RV Blanden: Secondary cytotoxic cell response to lymphocytic choriomeningitis. I. Kinetics of induction in vitro and yields of effector cells. Immunol 31: 171–180, 1976.Google Scholar