High Resolution X-Ray Spectroscopy from the Einstein Observatory
This paper is devoted to a discussion of some results which we have recently obtained from the fourth of the principal instruments on board the Einstein Observatory: M.I.T.’s Focal Plane Crystal Spectrometer (FPCS). We shall begin with a few general remarks about X-ray spectroscopy, followed by a brief description of the FPCS instrument. The results we present here deal primarily with supernova remnants (SNRs): Puppis A and Cas A in the Galaxy, and N132D and N63A in the Large Magellanic Cloud. In addition we shall briefly discuss a member of the other class of thermal X-ray source under discussion at present; namely, to report our detection of oxygen emission from the vicinity of M87 in the Virgo Cluster.
KeywordsNickel Lithium Recombination Emissivity Kato
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Donaghy, J., and Canizares, C., 1978, IEEE Trans., NS-25, 459.Google Scholar
- Forman, W.,1980, this volume, 181.Google Scholar
- Giacconi, R. et al., Astrophys. J., 230, 540.Google Scholar
- Helfand, D.J., 1980, this volume, 47.Google Scholar
- Holt, S.S., 1980, this volume, 35.Google Scholar
- Mushotzky, R.F., 1980, this volume,171.Google Scholar