High Resolution X-Ray Spectroscopy from the Einstein Observatory
This paper is devoted to a discussion of some results which we have recently obtained from the fourth of the principal instruments on board the Einstein Observatory: M.I.T.’s Focal Plane Crystal Spectrometer (FPCS). We shall begin with a few general remarks about X-ray spectroscopy, followed by a brief description of the FPCS instrument. The results we present here deal primarily with supernova remnants (SNRs): Puppis A and Cas A in the Galaxy, and N132D and N63A in the Large Magellanic Cloud. In addition we shall briefly discuss a member of the other class of thermal X-ray source under discussion at present; namely, to report our detection of oxygen emission from the vicinity of M87 in the Virgo Cluster.
KeywordsProportional Counter Supernova Remnant Line Flux Large Magellanic Cloud Virgo Cluster
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Donaghy, J., and Canizares, C., 1978, IEEE Trans., NS-25, 459.Google Scholar
- Forman, W.,1980, this volume, 181.Google Scholar
- Giacconi, R. et al., Astrophys. J., 230, 540.Google Scholar
- Helfand, D.J., 1980, this volume, 47.Google Scholar
- Holt, S.S., 1980, this volume, 35.Google Scholar
- Mushotzky, R.F., 1980, this volume,171.Google Scholar