VP/VS Ratio and its Changes in the Travale Geothermal Field
A seismic network, based on newly designed and assembled equipments, has been set up in the Travale geothermal field, South-West of the Era graben, and explosions have been produced on the opposite edge of the graben (in the Montagnola Senese region) by 5 successive seismic energy steps.
Obscured arrivals in almost all recording stations are inferring absence of structural connections between the edges that are likely rigid at shallow depths. If so, new arguments have to be taken into account for substantiating several interpretations that seemed quite established.
KeywordsAnisotropy Attenuation Hydrocarbon Compressibility Azimuth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).L. Casertano, A. Oliveri Del Castillo — Risultati preliminari sulla distribuzione spazio-temporale del rapport Vp /Vssull’area geotermica di Travale — Atti I Seminario Informativo del Sottoprogetto E.G. del CNR — 18 — 21 Die. 1979, RomaGoogle Scholar
- (2).J.W.M. Rynn and C.H. Scholz — Study of the seismic velocity ratio for several regions of the South Island, New Zealand, Geoph. J.R. astr. Soc., vol. 53, 1978.Google Scholar
- (3).I.L. Nersesov, A.A. Lukk, V.S. Ponomarev, T.G, Rautian, B.G. Rulev, A.N. Semenova, I.G. Simibereva — Possibilities of earthquake prediction, exemplified by the Garm Area of the Tadzik, SSR,Akad, Nauk USSR Inst. Fiz. Zemli, Moscow, 1973.Google Scholar
- (4).G.A. Sobolev and Slavina — The spatial and temporal changes in Vp /Vgbefore stgrong earthquakes in Kamachatka, PAGEOPH., Vol. 115, 1977.Google Scholar
- (5).I.A. Turchaminov and G.A. Ivanov — On correlation between seismic velocity anisotropy and stress “in situ”, PAGEOPH., Vol. 115, 1977.Google Scholar
- (6).J.E. White — Computed seismics speed and attenuation in rocks with partial gas saturation. Geoph. Vol. 40, 1975.Google Scholar
- (7).K. Wadati — On the travel time of earthquake waves. Part II, Geophys. Mag. Vol. 7, 1933Google Scholar
- (8).R.J.S. Brown and J. Korringa — On the dependence of the elastic properties of a porous rock on the compressibility of the pore fluid. Geoph. Vol. 40, 1975.Google Scholar
- (9).F. Gassman — Ueber die Elastizität poroser Medien. Vierth. Natur. Ges. Zürich, Vol. 96, 1951.Google Scholar
- (10).A. Timur — Temperatures dependence of compressional and shear wave velocities in rocks. Geoph, Vol. 42, 1977.Google Scholar
- (11).R. Tatham and P.L. Stoffa — Vp /Vs. A potential hydrocarbon indicator. Geoph. Vol. 41, 1976.Google Scholar
- (12).M.P. Volarovich and V.A. Budnikov — Velocities of elastic waves and Vp/Vs ratios in dry water-satured rock samples at high pressure. PAGEOPH, Vol. 11, 1978/79.Google Scholar