Mass Screening of Prostatic Diseases
In 1967, Watanabe developed transrectal ultrasonotomography to show the anatomic structure of the prostate in the form of an easily comprehensible cross-section map (Watanabe 1971, 1974, 1975). According to our surveys the false negative rate of this examination in the diagnosis of clinically manifest prostatic cancer was 0.3 per cent (Watanabe et al. 1978a) (Table 1). Transrectal ultrasonotomography is suitable as a screening test for prostatic cancer because of its low false negative rate and of its non-invasive procedure. We began the development of a new mass screening system for prostatic diseases 4 years ago, using transrectal ultrasonotomography as the primary study (Watanabe et al., 1977a).
KeywordsEurope Adenocarcinoma Tuberculosis Expense Tate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hirayama T: Prostate in comparative epidemiology of cancer in the U.S. and Japan. Tokyo JSPS p 26. 1978.Google Scholar
- Raasch G, Zakrzewski G, and Sonneborn D: Prostatakrebs-Vorsorgeuntersuchung im Kreis Worbis. Organisation, Durchführung und erste Ergebnisse. Deutsch Gesundh 30: 1116, 1975.Google Scholar
- Watanabe H, Igari D, Tanahashi Y, Harada K, Saitoh M: A model experiment of mass screening program for prostatic cancer by means of transrectal ultrasonotomography. Jap J Med Ultrasonics 27: 177, 1975.Google Scholar
- Watanabe H, Saitoh M, Ohe H, Tanaka S, Itakura Y: A mass screening program for prostatic diseases by means of transrectal ultrasonotomography in two homes for the aged. Jap J Med Ultrasonics 32: 123. 1977b.Google Scholar
- Watanabe H, Saitoh M, Ohe H, Tanaka S, Itakura Y: A first experiment of field mass screening program for prostatic diseases by means of transrectal ultrasonotomography. Jap J Med Ultrasonics 33: 151, 1978aGoogle Scholar
- Watanabe H, Date S, Ohe H, Saitoh M, Tanaka S, Itakura K: A survey on 1,073 examinations by transrectal ultrasonotomography in our clinic during these 2 years. Jap J Med Ultrasonics 34: 203, 1978b.Google Scholar