Testing the Clinical Performance of an IUD
- 60 Downloads
The results of clinical trials with the same IUD show great variations. In a multiclinic study in Finland with Cu-T200 the pregnancy rate at twelve months varied between 0.0 and 5.5 in different clinics (Luukkainen et al. 1975). A collaborative study (Sivin 1973) performed in five countries reported pregnancy rates from 0.3 to 2.9 and removal rates from 6.9 to 21.0 for Cu-T200. Both studies were carefully planned to minimize the clinical effect. The same instructions for insertion technique and for the patients were used. The clinical records were the same in the different clinics and data were collected and analyzed in one unit. It is evident that the results of various investigators on the performance of the same IUD, using different insertion techniques and data collection, are more variable than the results in these studies, where guidelines were kept similar by the central team.
KeywordsRemoval Rate Pregnancy Rate Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Intrauterine Device Insertion Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jain AK: Comparative performance of three types of IUDs in the United States. In: Analysis of intrauterine contraception, Hefnawi F, Segal S, (eds), Amsterdam, North-Holland Publishing, 1975, pp 3 – 16.Google Scholar
- Luukkainen T, Timonen H, Sivin I: Multiclinic copper-T studies in Finland. In: Analysis of intrauterine contraception, Hefnawi F, Segal S, (eds), Amsterdam, North-Holland Publishing, 1975, pp 243 – 248.Google Scholar
- Luukkainen T, Nielsen N-C, Nygren K-G, Pyörälä T, Kosonen A: Randomized comparison of clinical performance of two copper-releasing IUDs, Nova-T and copper-T, in Denmark, Finland and Sweden. Contraception 19: 1, 1979b.Google Scholar
- LuukkainenT, Nielsen N-C, Nygren K-G, Pyörälä T, Nulliparous women, IUD and pelvic infection. Ann Clin Res, 1979c.Google Scholar
- Mishell DR Jr: The clinic factor in evaluating IUDs. In: Analysis of intrauterine contraception, Hefnawi F, Segal S, (eds), Amsterdam, North-Holland Publishing, 1975, pp 27 – 36.Google Scholar
- Thiery M, van der Pas H, van Os WAA, van Kets H: Clinical experience with two newer copper-loaded IUDs (T-Cu220C and ML Cu-250; simultaneous use of an IUD and a spermicide; postplacental insertion of the ML Cu-250. In: Human fertilization, Ludwig H, Tauber PF, (eds), Stuttgart Thieme, 1978a, pp 253 – 260.Google Scholar
- Thiery M, van der Pas H, van Os WAA Tauber PF, Dombro- wicz N, MacDonald JS, Haspels AA, Drogendijk AC, van Kets H, Boogers W: Three years experience with the ML Cu- 250, a new copper-wired intrauterine contraceptive device. Adv Planned Parenthood 13: 35, 1978b.Google Scholar
- TimonenH: Intrauterine contraception with copper-T, Helsinki, Kirjapaino OY Tieto Ab, 1976.Google Scholar
- Zipper J, Medel M, Pastene L, Rivera M: Factors that limit the efficiency of copper-carrying IUDs. IN: Intrauterine devices, Wheeler RG, Duncan GW, Speidel JJ, (eds), New York, Academic Press, 1974, pp 235 – 242.Google Scholar