The Locomotor Behaviour of Human Blood Monocytes in Chemotactic and Chemokinetic Environments and the Role of Substratum in Monocyte Locomotion
Mononuclear phagocytes from a variety of sources, for example, blood monocytes, macrophages from peritoneal exudates or from the unstimulated peritoneal cavity, and alveolar macrophages, all show locomotor reactions to chemoattractants. In this paper we deal chiefly with blood monocytes. Although the role of macrophage chemotaxis in the evolution of inflammatory lesions is uncertain, it does at least seem probable that the monocytes which leave the blood are in the first instance directed into such lesions by chemotactic stimuli.
KeywordsMononuclear Phagocyte Chemotactic Factor Positive Gradient Monocyte Chemotaxis Filter Assay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dixon, H.M. & M. McCutcheon (1935) Absence of chemotropism in lymphocytes. Archives of Pathology 19, 679.Google Scholar
- Fraenkel, G.S. & D.L. Gunn (1961) The orientation of animals; Kineses, taxes and compass reactions. Dover, New York.Google Scholar
- Griffin, F.M., Griffin, J.A., Leider, J.E. & S.C. Silverstein (1975) Studies on the mechanism of phagocytosis. I. Requirements for circumferential attachment of particle-bound ligands to specific receptors on the macrophage plasma membrane. Journal of Experimental Medicine 142, 1263.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Henney, C.S. & K. Ishizaka (1968) Antigenic determinants specific for aggregated yG-globulin. Journal of Immunology 100, 718.Google Scholar
- Lewis, W.H. (1934) On the locomotion of the polymorphonuclear neutrophils of the rat in autoplasma cultures. Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital 55, 273.Google Scholar
- Lewis, W.H. (1939) The role of a superficial plasmagel layer in changes of form, locomotion and division of cells in tissue cultures. Archiv für Experimentelle Zellforschung 23, 1.Google Scholar
- Nossal, R. & S.H. Zigmond (1976) Chemotropism indices for polymorphonuclear leukocytes Journal 16, 1171.Google Scholar
- Rothert, W. (1901) Beobachtungen und Betrachtungen über taktische Reiz-erscheinüngen. Flora 88, 371.Google Scholar
- Wilkinson, P.C. & R.B. Allan (1978a) Assay systems for measuring leukocyte locomotion: an overview. In: J.I. Gallin & P.G. Quie (eds) Leukocyte chemotaxis, p. 1–24. Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar