Most people involved with fibre reinforced plastics encounter test specifications at some time. In this chapter, some of the more commonly encountered specifications are listed, together with brief comments about some of them. Six series of test specifications are mentioned, although not necessarily comprehensively, namely: ASTM—American Society for Testing and Materials; BS—British Standards Institution; DIN—Deutsche Normenausschuss; ISO—International Standards Organisation; EN—European Standard; IP—Institute of Petroleum. Wherever possible, indications are given as to the similarity or equivalence of the various standards mentioned.
KeywordsBurning Dust Acetone Phenol Hydroxyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chalkley, N. J. and Whalley, C. (1978) Proc. Anal. Div. Chem. Soc, 15, December, 327.Google Scholar
- 2.Flammability Test Methods for Plastics—An International List. Chemical Industries Association (CIA), Fire Retardants Group.Google Scholar
- 3.Anon. (1978) Modem Plastics International, 8, July, 53.Google Scholar
- 4.Anon. (1977) J. Fire & Flammability, July, 300.Google Scholar
- 5.Smith, E. E. (1972) Fire Technology, 8, August, 237.Google Scholar
- 6.Barnet, F. R. (1965) Trans. J. Plastics Inst., October, 177.Google Scholar