Heterojunction Energy Band Lineups in Cd1-x ZnxS/Cu2S Solar Cells
We present a study of the heterojunction energy band lineups in Cd1-xZnxS/Cu2S Photovoltaic cells. The values of the Cd1-xZxZnxs gap Eg(x) are calculated using the Van Vechten-Phillips model with the virtual crystal approximation. Good agreement has been obtained between experimental values and this calculation. The effect of disorder has been estimated and seems to contribute little to Eg(x). The heterojunction energy band lineups have been calculated using the LCAO model of Harrison-Chadi. The zinc concentration at which ΔEC=0 is about 40% neglecting changes in the dipole contribution to ΔEc, and 20% when the dipole contribution is included; the experimental value is about 30%.
KeywordsDipole Contribution Dipole Term Dipole Layer Virtual Crystal Approximation Interface Recombination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (a).NESCO FellowGoogle Scholar
- (b).Present address: Faculte des Science de Tunis, Department de Physique, Campus Universitaire du Belvedere — Tunis 1002 (TUNSIA)Google Scholar
- (c).Present address: Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104Google Scholar
- (1).A. Rothwarf, European Solar Energy Conference, Berlin, 1979 p. 370.Google Scholar
- (2).A.G. Milnes and D.L. Feucht, Heterojunctions and Metal-Semiconductor Junctions, Academic Press New York (1972).Google Scholar
- (10).F. Herman and S. Skillman. Atomic Structure Calculations, (Prentice Hall New Jersey 1963).Google Scholar
- (11).L.C. Burton, etal. NSF RANN/AER 72-03478, IEC/PV/TR/76/4, 1976.Google Scholar