Cracks in materials possessing homogeneous anisotropy
The increasing use of advanced composite materials in high performance structures has brought a renewed interest in the analysis of materials possessing anisotropy and/or nonhomogeneity. Typically, the application involves filament-reinforced composites stacked in layers to form a laminate. The question of whether the mechanical behavior of such composites can be adequately described by the theory of homogeneous anisotropic elasticity does not possess a general answer. Each situation must be analyzed individually depending on the mechanical properties of the structural elements and construction of the composite system. A comparison between the theory of homogeneous anisotropy and nonhomogeneous isotropy has been made by Sih et al.  for the fracture of filament-reinforced composites.
KeywordsAnisotropy Graphite Boron Epoxy Brittle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Voigt, W., Lehrbuch der Kristaffphsik, Second edition, Teubner, Leipzig (1928).Google Scholar
- Composite materials workshop, edited by S. W. Tsai, J. C. Halpur and N. J. Pagano, Technomic Publishing Co., Inc., Stamford, Connecticut (1968).Google Scholar
- Sih, G. C. and Liebowitz, H., Mathematical theories of brittle fracture, Chapter 2 in Fracture, Volume II, edited by H. Liebowitz, Academic Press, New York, pp. 67–190 (1968).Google Scholar
- Kassir, M. K. and Sih, G. C., Three dimensional crack problems, Volume 2 in Mechanics of Fracture Series, edited by G. C. Sih, Noordhoff International Publishing, Leyden, pp. 360–372 (1975).Google Scholar
- Chen, E. P. and Sih, G. C., Torsional and anti-plane strain delamination of an orthotropic layered composite, Development in Mechanics, Volume 7, Proceedings of the Thirteenth Midwestern Mechanics Conference, University of Pittsburgh Press, pp. 763–776 (1973).Google Scholar
- Arin, K., An orthotropic laminate composite containing a layer with a crack, Institute of Fracture and Solid Mechanics Report IFSM-74-51, Lehigh University (1974).Google Scholar
- Sih, G. C., A review of the three-dimensional stress problem for a cracked plate, International Journal of Fracture Mechanics, 1, pp. 39–61 (1971).Google Scholar
- Sih, G. C. and Embley, G. T., Cracks in anisotropic bodies in a state of generalized plane deformation, Institute of Fracture and Solid Mechanics Technical Report (1970).Google Scholar