Developmental Aspects of Peritoneal Dialysis
The use of the peritoneal membrane for removing uremic solutes was first reported in 1923 (1). Since then many investigators have contributed to bringing peritoneal dialysis (P.D.) from an experimental technique conducted in animals to its present state of clinical prominence. Although the technique of peritoneal dialysis is being used with increased frequency in children, relatively few studies dealing with dialysis kinetics have been performed in children and/or the developing animal.
KeywordsPermeability Urea Antidiuretic Hormone Inulin Uremia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Henderson, L.W.: Peritoneal Dialysis. in Massry, S.G. and Sellers, A.L. Clinical Aspects of Uremia and Dialysis, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill., Chapter 19, pp. 555–582.Google Scholar
- 5.Elzouki, A.Y., Gruskin, A.B., Baluarte, H.J., Polinsky, M.S. and Prebis, J.W.: Developmental Aspects of Peritoneal Dialysis Kinetics in Dogs. In Press. Pediatric Research.Google Scholar
- 6.Feldman, W., Baliah, T. and Drummond, K.N.: Intermittent peritoneal dialysis in the management of chronic renal failure in children.Google Scholar
- 8.Putiloff, P.V.: Materials for the study of the laws of growth of the human body in relation to the surface areas of different systems; the trial on Russian subjects of planigraphic anatomy as a means for exact anthropometry one of the problems of anthropology. Report of Dr. P.V. Putiloff at the Meeting of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Geographic Society. October 29, 1884, QMSK, 1886.Google Scholar
- 9.Elzouki, A., Gruskin, A., Prebis, J.W., Baluarte, H.J. and Polinsky, M.S.: Age Related Changes in Peritoneal Dialysance, Abstract National Kidney Foundation, 9th Annual Clinical Dialysis and Transplant Forum, November, 1979.Google Scholar
- 10.Elzouki, A.Y., Gruskin, A.B., Baluarte, H.J., Polinsky, M.S. and Prebis, J.W.: Age related changes in peritoneal dialysis kinetics. Pediatr. Res. 14: 618, 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.Tenckhoff, H., Ward, G. and Boen, S.T.: The influence of dialysate volume and flow rate on peritoneal clearance. Prox.Europ.Dial.Transpl. Assoc. 2: 113–117, 1965.Google Scholar
- 13.This research was supported in part by NIH Grant IRO1 HL 23511–01, General Clinical Research Center Grant RR-75 and in part by the Ministry of Education, Libya.Google Scholar