Cystic Diseases of the Kidney
Renal cysts are a heterogeneous group of inherited, developmental and acquired disorders. Despite this non-uniformity, there is value in grouping the types of cystic abnormalities because they share certain characteristics. The major categories of cystic disease are: 1) cystic dysplasia which connotes abnormal renal morphogenesis and differentiation; 2) polycystic disease of both autosomal recessive and autosomal dominant type; 3) medullary cysts of several types including medullary sponge kidney, and the complex of medullary cystic disease; 4) isolated cortical cysts; and 5) inherited syndromes of multiple malformations which are associated with renal cysts.
KeywordsRenal Cyst Renal Tubular Acidosis Cystic Disease Intravenous Pyelography Salt Wasting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bernstein J: Inheritable cystic disorders of the kidney. The pathology of polycystic disease. Pediatr Clin North Am 18: 135–144, 1971.Google Scholar
- 9.Gardner KC, Ed. Cystic diseases of the kidney. New York: Wiley, 1976.Google Scholar
- 10.Gibson AA: Juvenile nephronophthisis. J Pathol 101:Pxv 1970.Google Scholar
- 11.Grossman H, Winchester PH, Chisari FZ: Roentgenographic classification of renal cystic disease. Am J Roentgenology Radio and Thermonuclear Med 104: 319–331, 1968.Google Scholar
- 12.Quiper JJ: Medullary sponge kidney. Perspect Nephrol Hypertension 4: 151–171, 1976.Google Scholar
- 13.Kyaw MM: Roentgenologic triad of congenital multicystic kidney. Am J Roentgenology Radio and Thermonuclear Med 119: 710–719, 1973.Google Scholar
- 14.Lieberman E, Salinas-Madrigal L, Gwinn JL, Brennan LP, Fine RN, Landing BH: Infantile polycystic disease of the kidneys and liver: Clinical, pathological and radiological correlations and comparisons with congenital hepatic fibrosis. Medicine (Baltimore) 50: 277–318, 1971.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Potter EL: Normal and abnormal development of the kidney. Chicago: Yearbook Medical Publishers, 1972.Google Scholar
- 20.Veuthivhagdee A, Singleton EB: Infantile polycystic disease of the kidney. Am J Dis Child 125: 167–170, 1973.Google Scholar