In 1897 Rose Bradford ligated dogs’ ureters and studied the resultant changes. Hinman (1926) further studied the problem in dogs by performing 4 experiments. First, he unilaterally ligated a normal ureter for 2 weeks and then released the ligature and performed a contralateral nephrectomy. The ligated system, by hypertrophy compensation, recovered normal bodily function within 1 month. Secondly, he repeated the experiment but did not remove the ligature for 3 weeks. The ligated system was now able to recover only 50% of its normal function. Thirdly, he repeated the experiment but did not remove the ligature for 4 weeks. The ligated system was now unable to recover from this period of obstruction and the dogs died. Finally, he repeated the first experiment but delayed the contralateral nephrectomy for 3 months. While the contralateral kidney was in situ the now unobstructed system failed to undergo compensatory hypertrophy but when the contralateral kidney was removed such hypertrophy resulted in a size increase similar to that observed in the first group.
KeywordsCatheter Filtration Iodine Migraine EndometriOsis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hodson, C.J.; Craven, J.D.; Lewis, D.G.; Metz, A.R.; Clarke, R.J. and Ross, E.J.: Experimental obstructive nephropathy in the pig. British Journal of Urology 41: 1 (1969).Google Scholar
- Karanjavala, D.K.: Lymphography in the management of filarial chyluria. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons, England 46: 267 (1970).Google Scholar
- Murnaghan, G.F.: Mechanisms of congenital hydronephrosis with reference to factors influencing surgical treatment. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons, England 23: 25 (1958).Google Scholar
- Murnaghan, G.F.: Experimental studies of the hydrodynamics of the dilated ureter with reference to surgical treatment. Report of the Societe Internationale d’Urologie, p. 251 (1979).Google Scholar
- Anderson, J.C.: Hydronephrosis ( Heinemann, London 1963 ).Google Scholar
- Hinman, F.: Renal counterbalance. AMA Archives of Surgery 12: 1105 (1926).Google Scholar
- Hultengren, N.: Renal papillary necrosis. A clinical study of 103 cases. Acta Chirurgica Scandinavica (Suppl.): 277 (1961).Google Scholar
- Notley, R.G.: Ureteric obstruction; in Blandy (Ed) Urology, p. 568 ( Blackwell, Oxford 1976 ).Google Scholar
- Olsson, O.: Renal angiography; in Abrhams (Ed) Angiography vol. 2, p. 539 ( Little, Brown, Boston 1961 ).Google Scholar
- Smart, W.R.: Hydronephrosis; in Campbell (Ed) Urology, Vol. 3, p. 2372 ( Saunders, Philadelphia 1963 ).Google Scholar