The relations between 0+ fish density, zooplankton size and the vulnerability of pikeperch, Stizostedion lucioperca, to angling in the Frisian lakes
During a five year study, the size and abundance of zooplankton and 0+ fish in September were registered in a number of Frisian lakes. The mean size of Daphnia was related to the abundance of planktivorous 0+ fish in September. Immigration of fish larvae into the Frisian Lake District from the IJsselmeer in June was observed in 1979 and 1980. The abundance of 0+ fish was negatively related and the size of Daphnia was positively related to the vulnerability to angling of predatory pikeperch.
KeywordsDaphnia 0+ fish catchability angling pikeperch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous, 1975. Annual Report, Ministery of Agriculture and Fishery. Directorate of Fisheries, The Netherlands. Visserij 29: 244–368.Google Scholar
- Anonymous, 1979. Annual Report, Ministery of Agriculture and Fishery. Directorate of Fisheries, The Netherlands. Visserij 33: 184–322.Google Scholar
- Eijk, M. van der, 1981. Visserijkundige waarnemingen in de friese boezemwateren in de jaren 1977 1979. Visserij 34: 21–32.Google Scholar
- Fonds, M., 1978. The seasonal distribution of some fish species in the western Dutch Wadden Sea. In: Dankers, N., Wolf, W. J., Zijlstra, J. J. (Eds.). Fish and Fisheries of the Wadden Sea, pp. 5/42–5/77. Report no. 5 of the Wadden Sea Working Group.Google Scholar
- Forney, J. L., 1980. Evolution of a management strategy for the walleye in Oneida Lake, New York. N.Y. Fish Game J. 27: 105–141.Google Scholar
- Galbraith, M. G., Jr., 1975. The use of large Daphnia as indices of fishing quality for rainbow trout in small lakes. Verh. int. Verein Limnol. 19: 2485–2492.Google Scholar
- Willemsen, J., 1979. Voedsel, groeienjaarklassterkte van snoekbaars in enkele friese wateren. Rapport ZS 79-03. Rijksinstituut voor Visserijonderzoek, IJmuiden. 9 pp.Google Scholar