Nitrogen cycle of Lake Vechten: concentration patterns and internal mass-balance
- 75 Downloads
Concentration patterns of ammonia, nitrate and particulate- and dissolved organic nitrogen in Lake Vechten (The Netherlands) are given. The main processes playing a role in the lake’s nitrogen cycle are inventorized. During spring and summer, the uptake of ammonia and nitrate by primary producers, accompanied by sedimentation of organic matter, result in significant nitrogen losses from the 0–6 m stratum. Ammonia accumulates during the stratification in the hypolimnion and after the autumn overturn is recirculated over the whole water column. In winter, release of ammonia from the sediments and nitrification further restore the lake’s nutrient supply. The changes in nitrogen content of the different compartments are quantified, giving a basis for more detailed research.
Keywordsnitrogen cycle hypolimnetic accumulation mass-balance Lake Vechten
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Best, E. P. H., Blaauboer, M. C. I., Cappenberg, Th. E., Gons, H. J., Gulati, R. D., de Kloet, W. A., Steenbergen, C. L. M. & Verdouw, H., 1978. Towards an integrated study of the ecosystem of Lake Vechten. Hydrobiol. Bull. 12: 107–118.Google Scholar
- Best, P. H., 1979. Ecophysiological studies on growth and development of the aquatic macrophyte Ceratophyllum demersum L. Ph. D. thesis, Utrecht.Google Scholar
- Blaauboer, M. C. I., van Keulen, R. & Cappenberg, Th. E. Extracellular release of photosynthetic products by freshwater phytoplankton populations, with special reference to the algal species involved. Freshwat. Biol, (in press).Google Scholar
- Brezonik, P. L., 1972. Nitrogen: sources and transformations in natural waters. In: Allen, H. E. & Kramer, J. R. (Eds.) Nutrients in Natural Waters. John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Freier, R. K., 1964. Wasser Analyse. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, G. E., 1957. A Treatise on Limnology. I. Geography, Physics and Chemistry. John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Parma, S., 1971. Chaoborusflavicans(Meigen)(Diptera, Chaoboridae): an autecological study. Ph. D. thesis, Groningen.Google Scholar
- Parma, S. & Gulati, R. D., 1981. Progress Report 1980. Limnological Institute Verh. Kon. Ned. Akad. Wet. Afd. Natuur- kunde, Tweede Reeks, 77.Google Scholar
- Tirén, T., 1977. Denitrification in sediment-water systems of various types of lakes. In: Golterman, H. L. (Ed.) Interactions between Sediments and Freshwater. W. Junk and PUDOC, The Hague and Wageningen.Google Scholar
- Verdouw, H. & Dekkers, E. M. J., 1982. Nitrogen cycle of Lake Vechten (The Netherlands): role of sedimentation. Arch. Hydrobiol. 94: 251–263.Google Scholar