The food and parasites of fish in some deep basins of northern L. Päijänne
The composition of the fish stock, food and ‘macroparasites’ were studied in eleven basins (22–100 m) of Lake Jyväsjärvi and North Päijänne in August–September 1976. The fishing was done by means of a series of nets (meshes 15, 21 and 35 mm) laid on the bottom overnight. No fish were found in the two northernmost basins owing to bad oxygen conditions caused by waste waters. Smelt and burbot were the most abundant fish in the catches in other basins but the vendace was rare. Relict crustaceans and some ‘deep water’ copepods (e.g. Heterocope borealis) played an important role in the food of fish in all basins.
Parasites spreading via relict crustaceans were abundant in smelt and burbot, but absent in vendace and ruffe. The most common parasite in smelt was Cystidicola farionis, in burbot Echinorhynchus borealis, in ruffe Triaenophorus nodulosus and in vendace the gill parasite Ergasilus sieboldi. Females of a relatively rare copepod Salmincola lotae were found in the oral cavity of five burbot (at depths of 50 and 100 m).
Keywordsdeep basins fish food metazoa parasites pollution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eloranta, P., 1976. Phytoplankton and primary production in situ in the lakes Jyväsjärvi and North Päijänne in summer 1974. Biol. Res. Rep. Univ. Jyväskylä 2: 51–66.Google Scholar
- Gadd, P., 1904. Parasit-Copepoder i Finland. Acta Soc. Fauna Flora fenn. 26 (8): 1–58.Google Scholar
- Granberg, K., 1973. The eutrophication and pollution of Lake Päijänne, Central Finland. Ann. bot. fenn. 10: 267–308.Google Scholar
- Hakkari, L., 1978. On the productivity and ecology of zoo- plankton and its role as food for fish in some lakes of Central Finland. Biol. Res. Rep. Univ. Jyväskylä 4: 1–87.Google Scholar
- Jääskeläinen, V., 1917. Pohjois-Laatokan kaloista ja kalastuksista. Suomen Kalatalous 4: 217–302.Google Scholar
- Koli, L., 1969. Eräistä kalastomme taksonomisista kysymyksistä. Luonnon Tutkija 3: 93–105.Google Scholar
- Nyrönen, J. & Hakkari, L., 1976. Pohjois-Päijänteen kalastossa tapahtuneista muutoksista ja niihin johtaneista tekijöistä. (Summary: On the factors affecting the species composition offish in Northern Päijänne). Hydrobiol. Res. Centre, Univ. Jyvaskyla, Rep. 72: 87–133.Google Scholar
- Savolainen, E., 1975. Distribution and food of Myoxocephalus quadricornis (L.) (Teleostei, Cottidae) in fresh waters of eastern Finland. Ann. zool. fenn. 12: 271–274.Google Scholar
- Särkkä, J., 1979. The zoobenthos of Lake Päijänne and its relation to some environmental factors. Ann. zool. fenn. 160: 1–46.Google Scholar
- Tuunainen, P., 1971. Observations on the composition and abundance of fish fauna in Lake Päijänne, Central Finland. (Preliminary report). Jyväskylän hydrobiol. tutkimuslaitos. Tiedonantoja 15: 1–19.Google Scholar