Binocularity in Comitant Esotropia and Exotropia
With a series of experiments, it is shown that both in concomitant small-angle esotropia and exotropia, one can find wide areas of overlapping of the visual fields of the two eyes. This type of overlapping is defined as anomalous binocular vision. In this group of patients no suppression scotomas were detected. This is due to the fact that the test-targets were fusable stimuli, with appropriate controls for binocularity. The same patients, tested with more artificial (or ‘dissociating’) techniques, exhibited suppression scotomas in the identical areas where anomalous binocularity was found with our technique. In patients with large-angle exotropia, suppression scotomas were always present. However, their shape was strongly influenced by the testing technique.
It is concluded that reliable information on the quality of binocularity in strabismus can be obtained only with methods which alter as little as possible the everyday seeing condition of the patient.
KeywordsfIlters Peri Dition Strabismus Amblyopia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagolini, B. Diagnostic et possibilité de traitment de l’état sensorial du strabisme avec des instruments peu dissociants (test du verre strié et barre de filtres). Ann. Ocul 194: 236(1961).Google Scholar
- Bagolini, B. & E.C. Campos. Binocular campimetry in small-angle concomitant esotropia. Docum. Ophthalmol. Proc. Series Dr W. Junk, The Hague. 14: 405 (1977).Google Scholar
- Bagolini, B. & G. Ravalico. The binocular visual field in small angle strabismus. Proc. 2nd Int. Orth. Congr. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam. 245: 43 (1971).Google Scholar
- Campos, E. & T. Catellani. Perimetria binoculare nell’esotropia concomitante a piccolo angolo. Boll. Ocul. 55: 205 (1976).Google Scholar
- Campos, E.C. & C. Chiesi. Perimetrie binoculaire dans l’exotropie concomitant. Bull. et Mem. Soc. Française d’Ophtalmol. 92° anné. Masson, Paris, 1981 p. 301.Google Scholar
- Jampolsky, A. Characteristics of suppression in Strabismus. Arch. Ophthalmol. 54: 683 (1955).Google Scholar
- Noorden, G.K. von. Burian-von Noorden’s Binocular Vision and Ocular Motility. Theory and Management of Strabismus. C.V. Mosby St. Louis, 1979.Google Scholar
- Parks, M.L. Ocular motility and strabismus. Harper & Row, Hagerstown, 1975.Google Scholar
- Pratt-Johnson, J.A. & A.L. MacDonald. Binocular visual field in strabismus. Canad. J. Ophthalmol. 11: 37 (1976).Google Scholar