An X-Ray Survey of Supernova Remnants in the Large Magellanic Cloud
The last supernova (SN) observed in the Galaxy occurred ~375 years ago and it is clear that progress in SN research would be glacial at best if we were limited to the study of galactic events. Although the first extragalactic SN was discovered over 100 years ago and the detection rate reached ~20 yr-1 by 1960, it was not until several years later that the study of supernova remnants (SNR) was first extended beyond the Galaxy with the identification of three SNR in the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) (Mathewson and Healy 1964). In the last decade, 14 SNRs have been catalogued in the LMC; similar numbers have been found in both M31 and M33 (D’Odorico, Dopita, and Benvenuti 1979; Blair, Kirshner, and Chevalier 1981), and recently, a few very young remnants have been detected in more distant galaxies (Kronberg, Bierman, and Schwab 1981; Weiler et al., and Winkler et al, 1982).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clark, D. H., Tuohy, I. R., Long, K. S., Szymkowiak, A. E., Dopita, M. A., Mathewson, D. S., and Culhane, J. L. 1981, Astrophys. J., submitted.Google Scholar
- D’Odorico, S., Dopita, M. A., and Benvenuti, P. 1979, Astron. Astrophys. Suppl., 40, pp. 67–78.Google Scholar
- Helfand, D. J., Long, K. S., Dopita, M. A., Tuohy, I. R., and Mathewson, D. S. 1981, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Long, K. S., Helfand, D. J., and Grabelsky, D. A. 1981, Astrophys. J., in press.Google Scholar
- Markert, T. H., Lamb, R. C., Hartmann, R. C., Thompson, D. J., and Bagnami, G. F. 1981, preprint.Google Scholar
- Mathewson, D. S., and Healy, J. R. 1964, in IAU Symposium No. 20, The Galaxy and the Magellanic Clouds, eds. F. J. Kerr and A. W. Rogers (Canberra: Australian Academy of Science), pp. 126–135.Google Scholar
- Mathewson, D. S., Ford, V. L., Dopita, M. A., Tuohy, I. R., Long, K. S., and Helfand D. J. 1981, Astrophys. J., submitted.Google Scholar
- Tuohy, I. R., Dopita, M. A., Mathewson, D. S., Long, K. S., and Helfand, D. J. 1981, Astrophys. J., submitted.Google Scholar
- Winkler, P. F. 1981, private communication.Google Scholar
- Winkler, P.F., Canizares, C.R., Markert, T.H., and Szymkowiak, A.E. 1982, this volume.Google Scholar