On the Orbital Evolution of Short-Period Comets Having Low-Velocity Encounters with Jupiter
- 75 Downloads
The idea that both long- and short-period comets come from a large reservoir (the Oort cloud), extending isotropically up to a distance of 1 to 2•105 AU from the Sun (Weissman, 1981; Fernandez, 1980, 1981), is today almost generally accepted.
KeywordsOrbital Element Giant Planet Close Encounter Chaotic Orbit Orbital Evolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carusi, A., Pozzi, F., and Valsecchi, G.B., 1979. Planetary close encounters: an investigation on temporary satellite capture phenomena. In “Dynamics of the Solar System”, ed. R.L. Duncombe (Dordrecht: D. Reidel), 185–189.Google Scholar
- Carusi, A., and Valsecchi, G.B., 1979. Numerical simulations of close encounters between Jupiter and minor bodies. In “Asteroids”, ed. T. Gehrels (Tucson: Univ. Arizona Press), 391–416.Google Scholar
- Everhart, E., 1979. Chaotic orbits in the Solar System. In “Asteroids”, ed. T. Gehrels (Tucson: Univ. Arizona Press), 283–288.Google Scholar
- Kazimirchak-Polonskaya, E.I., 1972. The major planets as powerful transformers of cometary orbits. In “The motion, evolution of orbits and origin of comets”, eds. G.A. Chebotarev, E.I. Kazimirchak-Polonskaya and B.G. Marsden (Dordrecht: D. Reidel), 373–397.Google Scholar
- Kazimirchak-Polonskaya, E.I., 1976. Review of investigations performed in USSR on close approaches of comets to Jupiter and the evolutions of cometary orbits. In “The study of comets”, eds. B. Donn, M. Mumma, W. Jackson, M. A’Hearn and R. Harrington (NASA SP-393), 490–536.Google Scholar
- Marsden, B.G., 1979. Catalogue of cometary orbits. (Cambridge: Smithson. Astrophys. Obs.).Google Scholar
- Öpik, E.J., 1976. Interplanetary Encounters. (New York: Elsevier), 18.Google Scholar
- Rickman, H., 1979. Recent dynamical history of the six short period comets discovered in 1975. In “Dynamics of the Solar System”, ed. R.L. Duncombe (Dordrecht: D. Reidel), 293–298.Google Scholar
- Rickman, H., and Malmort, A.M., 1981. Variations of the orbit of comet P/Gehrels 3: temporary satellite captures by Jupiter. Submitted to Astron. Astrophys..Google Scholar
- Weissman, P.R., 1981. Dynamical history of the Oort cloud. Presented at I.A.U. Colloquium 61, Tucson, March 1981.Google Scholar