Experiences of Chinese Immigrants in Canada: (A) Building an Indigenous Support System
The importance of indigenous ethnic institutions as sources of social support for minority immigrants has been noted in several studies (Breton, 1964; Murphy, 1973; Nann and Stewart, 1975). For example, data gathered on refugees resettled after World War II in Great Britain, Australia, Canada, and Singapore consistently showed that where an immigrant group constituted a large proportion of the population, their relative rates of mental illness were lower than where they constituted a small percentage (Murphy, 1955).
KeywordsChinese Immigrant Success Organization Chinese Community Social Service Organization Unemployment Insurance Benefit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Breton, Raymond 1964 Institutional completeness of ethnic communities and the personal relations of immigrants. American Journal of Sociology 70, September.Google Scholar
- Gans, Herbert J. 1958 The origin and growth of a Jewish community in the suburbs: A study of Park Forest Jews. In M. Sklare (ed.), The Jews: Social Patterns of an American Group. Glencoe: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, Michael 1975 Strathcona Community Needs. Vancouver: unpublished research monograph.Google Scholar
- Government of Canada 1971 Statistics Canada, 1971 Census.Google Scholar
- Kramer, Ralph M. 1973 Future of the voluntary service organization. Social Work, NASW, November.Google Scholar
- Murphy, H. B. M. 1955 Flight and Resettlement. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization.Google Scholar
- Murphy, H. B. M. 1973 Migration and the major mental disorders. In Charles Zwingmann and Maria Pfister-Ammende (eds.) Uprooting and After. New York: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Nann, Richard C. and Stewart, Penelope 1975 Community Services and Ethnic Minority Clientele. Vancouver: unpublished research monograph.Google Scholar
- O’Donnell, Edward J. and Sullivan, Marilyn M. 1969 Service delivery and social action through the neighborhood center: A review of research. Welfare in Review, December.Google Scholar
- Willmott, William E. 1964 Chinese clan associations in Vancouver. Man, No. 49, March-April.Google Scholar
- Wirth, Louis 1928 The Ghetto. Chicago: U. of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Yuen, Paul 1979 A Sample Survey of Vietnamese Refugees Known to SUCCESS. Vancouver: unpublished.Google Scholar