Commentary: Deterministic and Probabilistic Approaches to Plant Development
Professor Mohr has presented a well-argued account of the laws of development (Nohr, 1931) and he has shown how they may be applied to understand the basis of certain developmental processes in plants. We wish to take up his conclusion that studies of appropriate biochemical model systems of morphogenesis will provide us with the intellectual tools to comprehend morphogenesis.
KeywordsPollen Tube Epidermal Cell Stereological Analysis Deterministic View Intellectual Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackoff, R. L. 1974. Redesigning of future. John Wiley amp; Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Ackoff, R. L. 1980. From information to control. In N. Bjorn-Anderson (ed). The Human Side of Information Processing. 216–226. North- Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Considine, J. A., Knox, R. B. and Frankel, O. H. 1982. Floret development in wheat: cuantitative histochemistry of RNA and stereological analysis of fertile and base-sterile florets. Ann. Bot. (in press).Google Scholar
- Frankel, K., Knox, R. B. and Considine, J. A. 1981. The development of the wheat flower: genetics and physiology. In Evans, L. T. and Peacock, W. J. (eds.). Wheat Science Today and Tomorrow. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Knox, R. B. and Clarke, A. E. 1980. Discrimination of self and non-self in plants. In J. J. Karchalonis and N. Cohen (eds.). Contemporary Topics in Immunobiology 9, 1–36.Google Scholar
- Mohr, H. 1978. Pattern specification and realization in photomorphogenesis. Bot. Mag. Tokyo Special Issue 1, 199–217.Google Scholar
- Mohr, K. 1981. Principles in plant morphogenesis. (This symposium).Google Scholar
- O’Brien, T. P. 1982. Growth, divisions and differentiation of cells. In E. Smith and D. Grierson (eds.) Molecular biology of Plant Development. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford (in press).Google Scholar
- Passioura, J. 1979. Accountability, philosophy and plant physiology. Search 10, 347–350.Google Scholar
- Williams, E. G., Knox, R. B. and Rouse, J. L. 1982. Pollination sub-systems distinguished by pollen tube arrest after incompatible interspecific crosses in Rhododendron (Ericaceae). J. Cell Sci. (in press).Google Scholar