Bubble dynamics: a review and some recent results
Several aspects of small-amplitude oscillations of bubbles containing gas, vapor, or a gas-vapor mixture are discussed. An application to pressure-wave propagation in a bubbly liquid is described. Nonlinear forced oscillations are considered in the light of recent research on forced oscillations of nonlinear systems. The growth of vapor bubbles, an extension of the Rayleigh-Plesset equation to non-Newtonian liquids and appreciable mass transfer at the interface, and a boundary integral numerical method for non-spherical cavitation bubble dynamics are also briefly discussed.
KeywordsVapor Bubble Bubble Growth Sound Field Bubble Dynamic Bubble Shape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Apfel RE (1980) Some new results on cavitation threshold prediction and bubble dynamics. In Lauterborn W (ed) Cavitation and inhomogeneities in underwater acoustics, pp 79–83. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- 2.Borotnikova MI and Soloukhin EI (1964) A calculation of the pulsations of gas bubbles in an incompressible liquid subject to a periodically varying pressure. Sov Phys Acoust 10: 28–32.Google Scholar
- 4.Cramer E (1980) The dynamics and acoustic emission of bubbles driven by a sound field. In Lauterborn W (ed) Cavitation and inhomogeneities in underwater acoustics, pp 54–63. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- 9.Fanelli M, Prosperetti A and Reali M (1981) Radial oscillations of gas-vapor bubbles in liquids. Part II: Numerical examples. Acustica 49 (2).Google Scholar
- 10.Fanelli M, Prosperetti A, and Reali M (1981) The propagation of linear pressure waves in a bubbly liquid. J Acoust Soc Am (submitted).Google Scholar
- 13.Harper JF (1981) Surface activity and bubble motion (these Proceedings).Google Scholar
- 24.Prosperetti A (1981) A generalization of the Rayleigh-Plesset equation of bubble dynamics. Phys Fluids (in press).Google Scholar
- 26.Rath HJ (1980) Free and forced oscillations of soherical gas bubbles and their translational motion in a compressible fluid. In Lauterborn W (ed) Cavitation and inhomogeneities in underwater acoustics, pp 64–71. New York: Springer.Google Scholar