An old man asleep by the fire, perhaps typifying Sloth
A reasonably well preserved and convincing work, which is reliably signed and dated 1629 and in various respects akin to other works datable in that year. It is moreover almost certainly identical with one of the paintings described as the work of Rembrandt in the will of Jacques de Gheyn III in 1641.
KeywordsRear Wall Graphic Reproduction Sales Catalogue Brownish Pink White Highlight
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Van Gelder 1953, p. 293 (p. 21), note 54.Google Scholar
- 2.Br.-Gerson 428.Google Scholar
- 3.Van Gelder 1953, p. 293 (p. 22); idem in: Burl. Mag. 95 (1953), p. 37 note 9.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Michel, ‘La jeunesse de Rembrandt, 1606 1631, III’, G.d.B.-A. 3rd series 4, 32 (1890), pp. 154–166, esp. 159–163; idem, Rembrandt, Paris 1893, pp. 41–42.Google Scholar
- 5.Bauch 1933, p. 191; Bauch 1960, pp. 148–150; K. Bauch, Studien zur Kunstgeschichte, Berlin 1967, p. 145.Google Scholar
- 6.Tümpel 1971, p. 20 note 3.Google Scholar