Possible Role of Prostanoids as Mediators in the Pathogenesis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
The etiology of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease is still not known. Various themes were suggested: allergic, dietary, infectious, autoimmune, vascular, psychosomatic and others, but none has so far yielded any conclusive answers. Irrespective of the specific etiology, the possibility that prostanoids may have a role as mediators in the inflammatory process and in the alteration in intestinal secretory and absorptive function in IBD was explored in the present study.
KeywordsUlcerative Colitis Celiac Disease Colonic Mucosa Ulcerative Colitis Patient Adenylate Cyclase Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Moncada S, Vane JR. 1979. Pharmacology and endogenous roles of prostaglandin endoperoxides, thromboxane A2 and prostacyclin. Pharmacol Rev, 30: 293–331.Google Scholar
- 2.Vane JR. 1971. Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis as a mechanism of action for aspirin-like drugs. Nature (New Biol) 231: 232–235.Google Scholar
- 5.Ventrappen G, Popiela T, Tytgat DNJ, et al. 1980. A multicenter trial of 15(R)-15 methyl prostaglandin E2 in duodenal ulcer. Gastroenterology 78: 1283.Google Scholar
- 10.Ligumsky M, Karmeli F, Sharon P, et al. 1981. Enhanced thromboxan A2 and prostacyclin production by cultured rectal mucosa in ulcerative colitis and its inhibition by steroids and sulfasalazine. Gastroenterolog 81: 444–449.Google Scholar
- 11.Tripp JH, Manning JA, Muller DRP, et al. 1978. Mucosal adenylate cyclase and sodium-potassium stimulated adenosine triphosphate in jejunal biopsies of adults and children with coeliac disease. Eds. McNichol B, McCarthy CF, Fottrell PF, MTP Press, Lancaster, UK, 461–470.Google Scholar
- 15.Sinzinger H, Silberbaver K, Seyfriend H. 1979. Rectal mucosal prostacyclin formation in active ulcerative colitis. Lancet is 444.Google Scholar
- 22.Charney AM, Donowitz M. 1978. Functional significance of intestinal Na+-K+-ATPase: in vivo ouabain inhibition. Am J Physiol 234: 629–636.Google Scholar
- 23.Kimberg DV. 1974. Cyclic nucleotides and their role in gastrointestinal secretion. Gastroenterology 67: 1023–1064.Google Scholar
- 25.Sharon P, Karmeli F, Rachmilewitz D. 1981. Celiac disease, pernicious anemia, colchicine therapy and ulcerative colitis: A common role for Na-K-ATPase in decreased intestinal water absorption. Gastroenterology 80: 1282.Google Scholar