Palynological investigations of the sediments of the north-western lakes of the Russian Plain and the Baltic Sea
In the last decade palynological investigations of the sediments of large lakes in the USSR (Ladoga, Onega, Kubenskoye, Vozhe, Lacha, Beloye) and the Baltic Sea have been carried out. Limnicand marine sediments are notable for their high pollen and spore concentrations and pollen diagrams from these deposits have a regional significance. The diagrams from Lakes Onega and Ladoga belong to the Kola-Karelian type while the sediments of Lacha, Vozhe, Kubenskoye and Beloye belong to the North-Russian type (Neustadt 1957). Three types of Holocene pollen diagrams are registered for the Baltic Sea. Modern and fossil pollen spectra reflect the composition of the zonal vegetation. Late-glacial sediments are found in several profiles of lake and sea deposits. Holocene deposits are divided into eight stratigraphic zones: Late-glacial sediments (DR2-A1-DR3) and Post-glacial sediments (PB, BO, AT, SB, SA). The zonations of lake and sea sediments can be clearly correlated.
Keywordspaleolimnology palynology pollen diagram holocene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hafsten, H., 1971. Holocene zonal system of the world (in Russian). Theses of reports at I II International Palynologic Conference, Novosibirsk.Google Scholar
- Khomutova, V. I., 1976. Geochronology of bottom sediments according to the results of palynologic analysis. In: Palaeolimnology of Lake Onega (in Russian). Nauka, Leningrad.Google Scholar
- Khomutova, V. L., 1977. Palynologic characteristic of Post-glacial bottom sediments of central and south-eastern regions of the Baltic Sea (in Russian). Baltica No. 6, Vilnius, pp. 17–31.Google Scholar
- Kleimenova, G. I. & Khomutova, V. I., 1979. Some peculiarities of spore-pollen spectra of marine and lacustrine sediments (in Russian). Vestnik of Leningrad State University, No. 6, pp. 111–113.Google Scholar
- Neustadt, M. I., 1957 Forest History and Palaeogeography of the USSR in Holocene (in Russian). Moscow, 403 pp.Google Scholar
- Nilsson, T., 1964: Standartpollendiagramme und C14-Datierungen aus dem Ageröds Mosse in Mittleren Schonen. Lunds Univ. Årsskr. N. F. (2), 59: 7, 1–52.Google Scholar