Community structure of planktonic rotifers in a mesotrophic lake
Seasonal changes of species diversity (Hr) and average spatial overlap (Ōjk) of planktonic rotifers in a mesotrophic lake were examined with respect to their dependence on habitat diversity (Hh) and on a predator (Asplanchna herricki). Hr was positively correlated with the density of A. herricki and with Hh. In the absence of A. herricki there was no correlation between Hr and Hh. Ōjk was negatively correlated with the density of A. herricki and with Hh; the correlation between Ōjk and Hh was independent of the presence of the predator.
Keywordsrotifers species diversity spatial overlap predation pressure Asplanchna herricki
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ghilarov, A. M., 1977. Observations on food composition in rotifers of the genus Asplanchna. Zool. Zh. 56: 1874–1876 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Matveev, V. F., 1975. Comparative characteristics of zooplank- ton of Lake Glubokoye for 1972–1973 and in 1951. Hydrobiol. J. 11: 40–46 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Matveeva, L. K., 1979. Spatial overlap in plankton rotifer community and its dependence on abiotic and biotic factors. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 249: 1270–1273 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Scherbakov, A. F., 1967. Lake Glubokoye. Nauka, Moscow, 379 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Tribush, T. M., 1960. Some observations on the rotifers of genus Asplanchnidae of Rybinsk Reservoir. Bull. Inst. Biol. Vodochr. 6: 18–19 (in Russian).Google Scholar