Biometric analysis of Brachionus plicatilis ecotypes from Spanish lagoons
Univariate comparisons and several multivariate statistical analyses have been performed to study the morphometric variability of B. plicatilis. Both laboratory clones kept under constant conditions and natural populations from different Spanish lagoons and different times of the year have been compared. The results show that not only size, but also allometric coefficients are influenced by environmental factors. However, an important genetic component in the variation of shape and size has been visualized. A clear North-South ordination of the populations of the different lagoons and an important dispersion between their summer populations as well as great differences due to seasonal variation became apparent by the multivariate statistical analysis used.
Keywordsrotifers Brachionus plicatilis biometry ecotypes cyclomorphosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blackith, R. E. & Reyment, R. A., 1971. Multivariate morphometries. Academic Press, London. 412 pp.Google Scholar
- Hirayama, K. & Kusano, T., 1972. Fundamental studies on the physiology of Rotifers for their mass culture. A influence of water temperature on population growth of Rotifer. Bull. Jap. Soc. Sci. Fish. 38: 1357–1363.Google Scholar
- Ito, T., 1953. Studies on the morphological variation in natural populations of Calanoide Copepoda of Japanese Island waters. Fac. Fish. Univ. Mie. 1: 273–400.Google Scholar
- Kerfoot, W. C., 1980. Perspectives on Cyclomorphosis. Separation of phenotypes and genotypes. In: Evolution and Ecology of Zooplankton Communities. W. C. Kerfoot (Ed.) Univ. Pr. New England: 470–496.Google Scholar
- Nie, N., Bent, D. H. & Hull, C. H., 1970. Statistical package for the social sciences. McGraw-Hill, New York. 343 pp.Google Scholar
- Riera, T., 1981. Variabilitat morfologica de Tropocyclops i Temora. Aproximado critica a l’ús generalitzat de la Biometria en la taxonomia de Copépodes. Ph. D. Thesis, Univ. of Barcelona.Google Scholar
- Seal, H. L., 1964. Multivariate statistical analysis for biologists. 1964. Methuen London. 207 pp.Google Scholar