We are All Children of God
In a recent article, ‘An Immaculate Conception of Modality’, Brian Skyrms  has shewn how to interpret the necessity operator in various modal systems as a metalinguistic predicate of sentences. The principal task of the present paper will be to shew that any intensional operator may be construed in this way. I will then make some remarks about the philosophical importance of this fact, the burden of which will be that it frees a philosopher to do things intensionally or metalinguistically according to taste. I will then link the equivalence proofs with some suggestions Robert Stalnaker has made in connection with the problem of the semantics of propositional attitudes. The paper is self-contained but I suspect that a better appreciation of what is going on will be aided by a careful reading of Skyrms’ paper. Also, some familiarity with Stalnaker’s use of double indexing in, e.g.,  will help in the later sections. I would like to thank Steve Boer who drew my attention to the Skyrms article when he was in Wellington in July and August of 1979.
KeywordsModal Logic Modal System Accessibility Relation Propositional Attitude Atomic Sentence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Åqvist, L.E.G. son: 1976, ‘Formal Semantics for Verb Tenses as Analyzed by Reichenbach’, in T.A. van Dijk (ed.), Pragmatics of Language and Literature. North Holland, Amsterdam, pp. 229–236.Google Scholar
- Carlson, G.N.: 1978, Reference to Kinds in English. Indiana University Linguistics Club, Bloomington, Indiana.Google Scholar
- Cresswell, M.J.: 1973, Logics and Languages. Methuen, London.Google Scholar
- Crossley, J.N. and I.L. Humberstone: 1977, ‘The Logic of “Actually”’, Reports on Mathematical Logic 8, 11–29.Google Scholar
- Montague, R.M.: 1963, ‘Syntactical Treatments of Modality’, Acta Philosophica Fennica: Modal and Many-Valued Logics. pp. 153–166.Google Scholar
- Scott, D.S.: 1970, ‘Advice on Modal Logic’, in K. Lambert (ed.), Philosophical Problems in Logic. Reidel, Dordrecht, pp. 143–173.Google Scholar
- Segerberg, K.: 1972, An Essay on Classical Modal Logic 3 vols., University of Uppsala, Uppsala.Google Scholar
- Stalnaker, R.C.: 1976, ‘Propositions’, in A. F. Mackay and D. Merrill (eds.), Issues in the Philosophy of Language. Yale University Press, New Haven, pp. 79–91.Google Scholar
- Stalnaker, R.C.: 1978, ‘Assertion’, in P. Cole (ed.), Syntax and Semantics Vol. 9, Academic Press, New York, pp. 315–332.Google Scholar
- Vlach, F. : 1973, ‘Now’ and ‘Then’: A Formal Study in the Logic of Tense Anaphora. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles.Google Scholar