Spectroscopic Segregation in Binary Systems
Binary systems displaying spectroscopic segregation, whereby line spectra of the two components overlap little or not at all in wavelength, account for a small subset of LUV objects (late-type ultraviolet). Optical and ultraviolet (IUE) spectra for one such system, HD 15351 + UV0225 + 13 (F4-5 V + sdO), are presented and a few related systems described. The role of LUV objects in establishing an absolute luminosity calibration for hot subdwarfs is emphasized, along with their significance for stellar evolution. A search strategy for additional spectroscopically segregated LUV objects is outlined.
KeywordsBinary System Spectral Type Monthly Notice Cool Primary International Ultraviolet Explorer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, C. W.: 1973, Astrophysical Quantities, 3rd ed., Athlone Press, London.Google Scholar
- Davis, R. J., Deutschman, W. A., and Haramundanis, K.: 1973, Celescope Catalog of Ultraviolet Stellar Observations, Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Doyle, A. C.: 1890, The Sign of Four, Spencer Blackett, London.Google Scholar
- Gilra, D. P., Wesselius, P. R., and Rao, N. K.: 1980, Proceedings of Second European IUE Conference, ESA SP-157, p. 227.Google Scholar
- Houk, N.: 1978, University of Michigan Catalogue of Two-Dimensional Spectral Types for the HD Stars, Vol. 2, Department of Astronomy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.Google Scholar
- Houk, N. and Cowley, A. P.: 1975, University of Michigan Catalogue of Two-Dimensional Spectral Types for the HD Stars, Vol. 1, Department of Astronomy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.Google Scholar
- Thompson, G. I., Nandy, K., Jamar, C., Monfils, A., Houziaux, L., Carnochan, D. J., and Wilson, R.: 1978, Catalogue of Stellar Ultraviolet Fluxes, Science Research Council, U.K.Google Scholar
- Whitelock, P. A.: 1977, unpublished data.Google Scholar