Objectives-Oriented Evaluation: The Tylerian Tradition
- 175 Downloads
Ralph W. Tyler developed the first systematic approach to educational eval uation. This evolved from his work in the 1930s and early 1940s on the Eight-Year Study at Ohio State University (Smith and Tyler, 1942). Since that time, Professor Tyler has continued to develop aspects of evaluation, particularly at the national level following the growth of federally funded programs in education. The extent of the esteem in which he is held can be gauged, in part, by the large number of highly reputable evaluators who have based their methodology on the Tylerian approach.
KeywordsCorrect Response Incorrect Response Criterion Measure School Program School Personnel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Krathwohl, D.R. 1965. Stating objectives appropriately for program, for curriculum, and for instructional materials development. Journal of Teacher Education, 12, 83–92.Google Scholar
- Smith, E.R., and Tyler, R.W. 1942. Appraising and recording student progress. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Stufflebeam, D.L., Foley, W.J., Gephart, W.J., Guba, E.G., Hammond, R.L. Merriman, H.O., and Provus, M.M. 1971. Educational evaluation and deci sion making in education. Itasca, I11.: Peacock.Google Scholar
- Tyler, L.L., and Klein, M.F. 1967. Recommendations for curriculum and instructional materials. Los Angeles: University of California, Los Angeles. (mimeo )Google Scholar
- Tyler, R.W. 1942. General statement on evaluation. Journal of Educational Research, 35, 492–501.Google Scholar
- Tyler, R.W. 1950. Basic principles of curriculum and instruction. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Tyler, R.W. 1953. Some persistent questions on the defining of objectives. In C.M. Lindvall (ed.), Defining educational objectives. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.Google Scholar
- Tyler, R., Gagne, R., and Scriven, M. 1967. Perspectives of curriculum evaluation. Chicago: Rand McNally.Google Scholar
- Worthen, B.R., and Sanders, J.R. 1973. Educational evaluation: Theory and practice. Worthington, Ohio: Charles A. Jones.Google Scholar